Sunday 31 August 2014

Like moths to a flame

No, this isn't a story about a barn fire.  

But this is a story about a fire and the cutest little dog there ever was.

The apartment building next to mind caught fire this past weekend.  I have never been so close to a fire before, and let me tell you, it was a scary experience.

I got home from the barn and saw some smoke coming out a window.  It was big enough that I knew something was on fire, but small enough that I assume it was a minor kitchen fire that someone was in the process of putting out.

But before I could go into my apartment building, I heard people screaming and I ran over to see what was going on.

In the course of 10-15 minutes, the fire went from being just a bit of smoke to flames shooting out the window and eating the siding off the building.

At this point, only one lone policeman was there.  One lady was hysterical, utterly hysterical, running around the building screaming that she was losing all her belongings.  Meanwhile, another girl was screaming because her dog was still inside.

So one brave young guy tried to run into the building to get the dog, but there was so much smoke that he only made it to the bottom of the stairs before being forced to come back out.

So the next thing I see, he is on the shoulders of the one policeman.  He punches out the window to the apartment, climbs through, and passes the dog out to the policeman before leaping out himself, all while flames are shooting out the back of the building.

It was seriously impressive and brave.

And of course for a good cause.  Because wouldn't you save this face?


No, I didn't kidnap the puppy.  Although I wanted to.  I let the girl take the dog into my apartment and calm down while the fire continued to rage on outside.



By the time the firemen got there, there was so much smoke that I could barely find my way the 15 feet back to my own apartment building and seriously thought that I was going to have to save the cat and evacuate.



Anyway, this whole experience has really got me to thinking.  

One, that fires are scary.  

Two, that I should probably check my fire alarm since apparently these apartment buildings go up like matches.  

And three, I need a puppy.

I WANT HIM

1 comment: