Sunday 26 October 2014

Miracles Abound

The vet came out on Wednesday to take follow-up x-rays of Walker's right front foot.

And she was overwhelmed by the change in him.

His toe length has improved, his sole thickness, and his feet in general.  After she examined the x-rays, she told me that a large portion of the coffin bone has actually regenerated.  We always knew that a little bit of it would, but apparently the results are outstanding.

So outstanding, in fact, that her prognosis has completely changed.

Three months ago, she told me that I would be lucky to get light work out of Walker for the rest of his life if I intended to keep him sound.

This time around, she tells me that she thinks I may be able to put him back into full work come Spring.  Full work!  I didn't even think that was going to be an option!

Just to be sure, we are going to give him the Winter off as planned and re-x-ray him again in the Spring.  If his feet still look good, we are going to come up with a fitness schedule and bring him back into shape.

Needless to say I'm very very happy with these results.  And so thankful that I decided to move him when I did.  At our last barn, he managed to deteriorate in under 6 months, and at our current barn, we were able to undo all that damage in about 2 months.  If I wasn't before, I am now a firm believer that environment can mean the world of difference for a horse's health.


The vet's only complaint: Walker has put on about 50 lbs.  Haha.  He is now on a diet.

6 comments: