Tuesday 21 August 2012

Be Still My Beating Heart!

Today all the stuff that people leave lying around in the arena (poles, jump standards, barrels, etc.) was all cleared out, and I also had the whole arena all to myself.  Walker absolutely MADE MY DAY.  He loped beautifully for me just like he did the other day.  At first he threw a couple ceremonious bucks, but then I established a new rule with him: if you buck me, you had better successfully throw me or else I am going to keep asking you to lope anyway!  Once he figured that out, he gave in to me and we loped some beautiful "circles" of various sizes (and shapes - hence the quotation marks).


The stupid look on my face while we were loping that someone would have seen if there was anyone at the barn

I was not as successful on his bad side. I was unable to get an entire circle out of him but I was able to get him to lope off when I ask him.  I have always had problems with Walker making an entire circle (especially on his bad side) because he has a tendency to drift on the turn and thus lose the lope.  So I threw in a few rollbacks (I LOVE these exercises) to make sure that I at least got him loping in both directions and listening to me.  It turns out that the rollbacks are also great for his bolting.  Because he's figured out that we only go so far before I say "whoa", whenever he was bolting down the long end of the arena (on his bad side - which is the only side he bolts on), I was able to pull him up for the first time by saying "whoa".  He associated it with the rollbacks and forgot that he used to ignore that!

I was so thrilled that I only rode for 30 minutes.  I'm trying to teach Walker that he can have a quick enjoyable ride so long as he listens, so I wanted to reward him - especially since it was pretty hot today and I've also cut out his treats.  We went in the indoor arena then and worked on a little showmanship.  Walker has obviously done showmanship before but it clearly wasn't a focus with him.  He's not entirely sure of how to square himself up and since we're entered in a showmanship class this weekend, I figured that it never hurts to throw in 5 - 10 minutes of showmanship after every ride.

So then I tried something else I've been interested in.  I read an article the other day about riding your horse bareback and brideless.  I'm sure you can see where this is going.  Walker is fairly responsive to legs so I figured I could at least get him to walk around in a circle with me on his back.  My mistake.  Of course.  One swift kick to his side and he shot off - right towards the big pile of hay.  I tried to turn him again and he got himself stupidly wedged behind the makeshift stall in the indoor arena now and I had to crawl over it and off him, then direct him out.  This experience lasted about 50 seconds.  I guess I should stick to the bridle...

Crosby and Othello chilling out by the gate

Other than that, I'm wildly excited about Walker loping for me with little fuss, just like he did the other day.  Be still my beating heart!  Are Walker and I ACTUALLY starting to understand each other?  KNOCK ON WOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment