Friday 27 December 2013

2013 in Review

Everyone else is doing their year in review so I decided to do one too.  Brace yourself, folks.  Time to relive the roller coaster.

January



I began to take real live jumping lessons on my real live non-jumping horse.  We also participated in a Western Pleasure clinic, which was more Walker's style.  Of course, he reared with the clinician on him.  Never say he doesn't put on a show.


February


I continued to dabble in jumping.  I asked Walker to jump a two foot vertical.  He obliged, then promptly said "never again".  This would ironically end up being the case.  

I left for Italy.

March 


I return from my trip to Italy.  Walker and I celebrate our one year anniversary.  All hell breaks loose.

Walker gets sick with the cold.  Then he swells up to the size of a balloon and becomes anemic.  

April


Walker is sick.  I am sad.  I go to the barn two times a day to administer meds.  He ends up having to go to the vet clinic for two weeks.  

May 


Walker is out of the vet clinic and on the mend, despite having lost a scary amount of weight.  We move to our new home.  He becomes a jerk about oral medicine because we shoved it down his throat for weeks on end.  He vows never to trust another human around his mouth ever again.

He then goes lame.  We find out that he has mild navicular changes and that I should probably never jump him again.  Walker is thrilled with this last part.

June


Walker is sound-ish again.  I put him back to work.  His first time on the end of the lunge line, he decides to roll with my saddle on.  I suppose I'd have to crack my back too if I had been cooped up for four months.

I also begin discussions with the vet and farrier to fix my horse's feet.  It isn't going well at this point.

July


Walker is still on and off lame and generally uncomfortable.  I make the mistake of siding with the vet over the farrier and will revisit this decision months later.  Walker also starts getting regular massages.  And he's getting fatter.

I debate switching barns but decide against it in the end.

August

I still can't get over my mother's impeccable timing at catching
Walker in this state of pure disdain.
Walker fools me with some good days.  We start to get back to work.  He doth protest.

September


I decide we're going to do dressage.  So I buy a dressage saddle.

October


Two point-ober.  Walker is lame for a good portion of it.  And I am gone for the other half of it.  I still somehow manage to get five minutes.  

Although Walker is still getting beat up in the field, he finds himself a new girlfriend.

November


No Stirrup November.  I revisit my farrier's suggestion to put elevated pads on the baby.  Instant comfort, or at least seems to be.  Walker starts to feel rejuvenated by the cool Winter air.  I have a lot of bad rides, but hey, I'm riding.

December


Suddenly my work life explodes as does the weather.  I am rarely able to get to the barn.  Walker goes on another unplanned vacation, but at least he's sound for this one.  You know, other than running like a maniac through the snow and giving himself an ouchie.  But we don't count those anymore.


Apparently 2014 is the year of the horse.  Let's hope that's true, folks.

1 comment: