Wednesday 13 February 2013

Chest Cold

It has been a while since I've posted but I've been laid up sick for the past couple of days. I managed to get out to the barn for a quick ride on Tuesday and I'm glad I did. Walker was beyond hyper, hopping all over the place. It was good practice to get him working some small circles to calm him down for when we go back to the outdoor arena and he inevitably loses it with excitement. Other than that, it was a pretty relaxed ride because I was so sick that every time I coughed, it felt like a wildfire was raging through my lungs. I'm debating going to my lesson tonight. I've missed a bunch of school and it would probably be a good idea to stay home and rest, but I love our jump lessons so much. :( I will probably just end up staying home though. I'm clearly not getting any better and when you combine the cold air and dusty arena with my cold/flu/whatever it is, it's not a good mix.

One of the horses at the barn is also sick. He's very snotty and gross, so obviously he's on quarantine right now. He lives in the outdoor arena coincidentally which makes it easier to keep him separated from the other horses. Anyway, on Tuesday, the little girl who leases him came to see him and I told her that she couldn't touch him and then touch any of the other horses. She said that my barn owner had already told her but that she also said that she could groom him. So she clips a lead line on him and walks him down the hall past EVERY OTHER HORSE in the barn and puts him on crossties. Now, I should've stuck to my guns on that one because my barn owner freaked out at her when she came down and found him in the hall, but when this was going down, I was in an argument riding Walker and she said she had our barn owners permission. Of course, our barn owner meant she could groom him in his stall. Anyway, I felt pretty bad that it happened under my watch, but I was in no state to argue and besides, she said she had permission. Who am I to argue with our barn owner. Sigh. The good thing is that the horse doesn't have a fever and is eating well so it's probably nothing serious. All the horses are vaccinated in the barn ( except the baby!) but the vet arrived just as I was leaving to check out the horse and give the baby some vaccinations. Hopefully all is well.

Even if I don't make it to my lesson tonight, in going to try to make it to the barn tomorrow. Thursday is one of my quick rides, and there's definitely a difference between a 30 minute ride where you choose the pace and an hour long intensive lesson. But I don't want to push myself. I'd rather be better by the weekend so I can give Walker lots of attention!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds frustrating about the sick horse. Hope you get to feeling better and have some good rides this weekend.

    ReplyDelete