Monday 4 February 2013

Zombie Apocalypse

Every week, I give Walker Monday off.  This is mainly because I think that it's good for him to be guaranteed a night off every week although he undoubtedly gets other days off depending on my schedule.  I also don't have time to go to the barn on Mondays.  I have class until late, and now that it's Winter and lessons are going on in the indoor arena, the only time I could ride would be at 9 or 10 at night, which is hard to do when it's cold and dark.

Because of this, Monday has become my day.  I don't do any schoolwork.  I don't do anything remotely taxing like laundry or housework.  I simply lay around and do nothing.  All.  Night.  Long.

When I decided to take up riding hardcore again a year or so ago, it was a November.  I had been riding in weekly lessons for a few months by then, but November rolled around and I decided to do Nanowrimo.  Because I was devoting my entire month to doing something I really wanted to do (writing), I decided November would be my month to do a lot of things I really wanted to do.  This is when I leased my first horse, Hollywood, which really jumpstarted my return to riding and my ultimate purchase of Walker.

That November was a big turning point for me because it led me to Walker, and it reminded me that I had a lot of odd hobbies that I wanted to get back into or try for the first time.

This past year has been a bit of a whirlwind, but now that it's February and it's still blazing cold, I find myself looking to continue that theme.  So I joined an archery class.

Lucky for me, it runs four weeks (thus, all of February) for one hour only on Monday nights (the only night I could really go anyway).  I had a bow and arrow when I was younger (yes, I am that cool) so I'm kind of excited to do it again.  Tonight was the first class, and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it.

On a slightly related note, my friends now think that I am ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.  (Anyone out there watch The Walking Dead?  If not, you're missing out!)  They think it's wildly handy that I have a horse and can now shoot a bow.  I'm ready!  Bring it on!

Also, I absolutely love the movie Brave, and it kind of makes me laugh how similar I am to the main character Merida.  In particular, the quote by her father mocking her:

"I don't want to get married.  I want to stay single and let my hair flow in the wind as I ride through the glen firing arrows into the sunset."

Yep.  I'd be lying if my father wouldn't say the same thing about me!


4 comments:

  1. I watch the walking dead. I am a zombie expert, I obsess over it mainly because I'm batshit scared of them. LOL. I do WriMo every year too, I never quite finish anything worthwhile lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. It's such a great show! And I love doing Nanowrimo, although rarely is anything I have salvageable...

      Delete
  2. It's one of my new favourite movies! I love Pixar! So creative!

    ReplyDelete