Wednesday 27 February 2013

Equine Fitness (and Rider Pain)

Although this will probably be my last post before I leave for Italy tomorrow, I don't actually have anything big to say.  Sunday was the last day that I made it to the barn as this week has been crazy for me trying to prepare to leave and get all my schoolwork done.  I do have my lesson tonight, and it will probably be a jump lesson so hopefully we can improve a little bit on my position over crossrails.  I thought I had it last week (or at least my instructor led me to believe that I was improving!) but after watching the video I took of myself over the weekend, I obviously just resort to my bad habits when I am not being supervised by someone!

On the weekend when Walker was lame, I talked to one of the kids at the barn about stretches.  She suggested I pick up a copy of this book and I'm quite impressed.  There are lots of great stretches in the book for before, after and during the ride, and the book also explains various sweat and muscle patterns to help you better determine if your horse is in shape and using himself correctly.  I'm excited to be able to incorporate some of it all into my rides when I get back from my trip.

Other than that, I am in serious pain.  Although my chest cold generally cleared up about a week ago, the cough never entirely went away.  Unfortunately, I started to get a serious pain in my chest and so I spent 7 1/2 hours at the emergency room Tuesday night waiting to find out what was wrong.  The doctor told me that he thinks I pulled/tore a muscle around my lungs from all the coughing, but unfortunately, the only thing he could recommend was taking advil as often as the bottle recommends.  :(  Needless to say, I don't think the lesson is going to be a very good one.  Either I am going to be in pain from all the movement and twisting and turning, or else I am going to start coughing in the dusty cold air again (and coughing always results in the most pain).  So it is very possible that I won't actually make it through the entire lesson or else that I will decide not to jump.

The only reason I'm going is because I'm going to miss next Wednesday because of my trip, and the last time I saw him was on Sunday.  If I skip tonight, he probably won't get lunged or ridden by D until the weekend, meaning that he will have had an entire week off, and to make matters worse, I won't get to see him for over 2 weeks!  I don't think I can leave the country without at least one more kiss on that soft nose of his!

5 comments:

  1. I have that book and love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to look into that book. Hope your cough goes away. I still have mine too. I coughed so hard my rib was out! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got that book too, I love it. It's currently sitting in my car.... soon to be sitting in my tack room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think I should take advantage of the cool little cards at the back and actually leave it at the barn where I'm more likely to pull it out.

      Delete