Sunday 6 October 2013

Winter Fashion

It's that time of year again. When you drag out your Winter blankets and discover that you don't have any Winter blankets. That the blanket you only used once has no fill and is just a simple shell. Gah!

So now I'm blanket shopping. I think the shell will work as a good fall blanket but I would like le petit prince to have a nice midweight too.

And of course once I've found something warm enough and in my price range, the most important feature is colour and pattern! Why must they make so many blankets in such drab colours? Even at the barn, some people were telling me that he would just get filthy anyway so who cares if it's pretty.

I care. That's who.

I want Walker to have every reason possible to strut his stuff with the mares.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Weatherbeeta, in particular, the following blanket:


Blue is our colour, after all.

Also, does anyone know how the Weatherbeetas fit?  I have heard that they run big.  Walker measures a 77 so I was going to get a 78 like I usually do, but they measure in three inch increments.  I'm starting to think that a 75 fits a horse between 75-78 inches and that a 78 would be too big.  Anyone have any experiences?

10 comments:

  1. Pretty colors are always the way to go, don't let anyone convince you otherwise!

    I'd go with the 78, better to be too big than too small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one mid weight weatherbeeta that I found to run small - size 80 fit my 78. But I got for free, so maybe I just got a bad batch, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Inconsistency is not a good thing!

      Delete
  3. 0 experience with Weatherbeeta. I had great luck with the Northwind Turnouts though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a blanket similar to that (WB Taka Detach A Neck) that I mostly liked until it ripped and lost almost all of the filling over Hue's back. It did rub his shoulders a bit but I kind of assumed that any blanket would cause that until I found one that didn't. This rip was caused by a nail though so while mine only lasted part of a winter I don't entirely blame the blanket for that. I found that Houston pretty well needs an 84 in almost all of the blankets that I have tried on him. Unfortunately some fit him differently in the shoulder, drop, or length though but I usually felt that if one of those things was an issue going up or down a size might fix the problem but cause a different one to surface. I found that the Horseware blankets fit Houston well and decided to invest that way. Here's hoping that it is a wise choice. :) Good luck in your shopping.

    I have heard that the WB fit QH well? But I can't really say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Well, a nail would definitely kill almost any blanket. The QH people at my barn seem to have a little bit of everything in terms of brands so no help on that front.

      PS: I can't believe Houston is an 84. Holy huge!

      Delete
  5. That is such a pretty blanket! I need to go through my blankets in preparation of winter blanketing! WInter is coming, I need to get organized. I will do it this weekend!

    I'm no help on the fit of the WB. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I have put off looking at my blankets as long as I can. I was hoping that if I denied winter long enough, it might not happen

      Delete
  6. No experience with WB, sorry I'm no help!

    ReplyDelete