Sunday 16 December 2012

Almost the Holidays

Although I doubted that I'd have time, I made it out to the barn last night, but unfortunately I didn't bother taking any pictures. It was -11 degrees Celsius here (12 degrees Fahrenheit) and so I was more anxious to just get the ride over with. However once I got started, I quickly warmed up.

Yesterday Walker and I worked on only a couple things. He was feeling slightly defiant and so I was working on keeping him in a nice frame. For myself, I was working on keeping my shoulders back. No matter how straight I sit in the saddle, my blasted shoulders are never back! :s other than a couple leg yields and a few turns, that was pretty much it. Just a quick ride to get the blood flowing.

Although he wasn't sweating and our barn is heated, I threw his cooler on him while I puttered around anyway. Boy those things heat up! I stuck my hand under it after a few minutes, and it was like a furnace under there. I'm noticing that Walker hasn't really been sweating that much lately. I don't know if its because he hasn't been working hard enough or if he just doesn't sweat in the cold as much. In the summer, he was always dripping with sweat no matter what we did, but so far this winter, the only times he has been sweaty has been when he was feeling forward and we cantered cantered cantered around the ring like maniacs. And even then, he only sweat on his neck. It really doesn't worry me or anything. The only reason I bring it up is because I always feel better when he's sweating because I know he was working!

Other than that, I rebraided Walkers tail the other day. He has a tail bag to keep it clean for Winter and so I braid and rebraid it every week or so. Every month I take a comb and detangler to it to make sure it's still clean. And I have to say, my horse is gifted with some luscious locks. His tail is already so long that it drags behind him a couple inches, and it will soon need a trim. He also has a super thick mane. I wish I had hair like that! The nice thing about braiding his tail and using a tail bag is that I really give it a chance to grow because he can't step on it. He is very egotistical about his tail. He always tries to wrench it out of my hands and walk away from me if we're in his stall. I guess I'd do the same if I had hair like him!

Day off today to study (although I may change my mind) and out to the barn Monday. We may do some jumping, and I may incorporate a crop for the first time ever. I doubt he will like that much, and I also doubt that I am coordinated enough to successfully use one so we shall see how that goes!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good ride. K's horse limerick gets super hot under his cooler too. I've never had issues with Hue though. Maybe it's the material?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily it's not too concerning because the minute I take it off, he cools back down. I assumed it was the cooler so maybe you're right about the material

      Delete
  2. A tip for keeping your shoulders back is putting a crop behind your back and hooking it behind both elbows, if you get what I mean, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. That sounds uncomfortable! I bought this thing at Greenhawk called "shoulders back" (no word of lie!) and it forces your shoulders back. However, I have a touch of scoliosis so my shoulders will never be perfectly flat which makes the process ore difficult. :s

      Delete
    2. So I just drug out my brand new unused crop and hooked it behind my elbows and that's quite an ingenious plan! I think my only problem then is that my arms seem too sort to hold the reins anywhere but directly in my lap. I will have to test this out at the barn. Another reason for my barn owner to laugh at me, lol

      Delete