Wednesday 12 December 2012

Skillz

I just wanted to write a quick post after my lesson tonight and also to show you my amazing skillz at taking videos of my rides.  This is a screen shot from the ride I taped on Monday, and as you can see from the picture, the whole video was super helpful.  *rolls eyes*  I guess I should try my other camera next time. :S

As you can see, the video isn't blurry at all :P
In Wednesday night lesson news, Walker was pretty good.  There was a brief appearance from Bruce at the beginning of the lesson who threw a mini temper tantrum, but then he got over himself and let Walker come back.  We worked a lot on bending to the inside and pushing Walker into corners, which I will admit, I tend to let go a lot when I'm riding alone.  This is especially true at the canter, and I really had to work at moving him into the corners instead of making the circle smaller and smaller like he wants to do.  It helped that I rode in my Western saddle and my Western spurs.  Other than that, my form wasn't as good as it has been lately. I was definitely leaning back in my saddle at the lope and also to the inside.  I don't know why but that seems to be my reaction these days when Walker decides to be more forward.  I also tend to fall apart more during lessons than when I ride myself.  I'm sure it comes from wanting to please my instructor and instead doing worse. :S  I can't say that I was upset with the night though because, as you may have figured out, Wednesday night lessons are normally a disaster for me.  I have faith that now that we're in the indoor arena for good, things may start to look up again.  One of the other horses, Ash, also had a mini meltdown but he was freaking out because the cars were crunching over the ice/snow outside of the door which resulted in a little bit of wild and frantic cantering near the door.  Other than that, I can't complain!

The only downside to the snowstorm we got on Monday is that it was followed by freezing rain.  This means that the snow has a level of ice over top of it, and everywhere is treacherous.  In fact, there are normally four people in our lesson, but for the past few months, there has only been three of us.  This is because the fourth person is an older man (not really old, but older than the rest of us), and he has back problems.  After several months off because of pain, he arrived at the barn tonight with the intention of riding, put his foot out of the car door, slipped on the ice and fell on his back.  Now who knows when he will be able to ride again. :(  Needless to say, the horses haven't been outside because it's way too icy to even get them to their paddocks.  According to my instructor, at this point, it either needs to snow or melt, and it doesn't really look like either are going to happen for about a week.  I think Walker would have more of a chance of being turned out if his field wasn't at the very back and my trainer didn't have to walk up a hill (that is literally just ice) to get them there.  I can only pray that the weather won't be like that for the two weeks that I'm barely riding - you know, those two weeks before I do the clinic. :S  I'm sure Bruce will be out in full force if that's the case!

Luckily, I'm done my first two exams and my next one isn't until next Tuesday.  I will be able to get out to the barn quite often over the next week, I'm hoping.  He will get lots of exercise, if I have anything to say about it!

On a final note, check out this super cool video someone posted on my Facebook wall.  It's impressive and awesome:


1 comment: