Wednesday 8 January 2014

Neat Story

I read this really neat story today about a QH who simultaneously competes at reining and dressage.  While many QHs have the mind to be good all-arounders, I have rarely heard of people competing at higher levels in two completely different disciplines.

I also found this quote from the article very interesting because it's true:
"He's not unique," she continued.  "To me that's something that's maybe a common belief in the dressage world.  I'm a Quarter Horse person doing dressage.  I'm not a dressage person with a Quarter Horse.  I see Quarter Horses every day that could go to where Matt is without a problem, but they're usually in the reining or cow horse pen earning good money for their owners.  I know there are a lot of amateurs like me that want to have fun and learn, and these horse are certainly out there and willing and able to do it successfully and give their owners a heck of a ride on the way."
This kind of thing gives me a lot of hope for Walker and me.  There are certain things he'll never do because of physical limitations, but he has already shown me to a certain degree, at least in healthier days past, that he is capable of doing more than one thing at the same time.


Maybe this can be us someday.  You know, minus the reining part.  And probably the high level dressage part.

In other words, I'm just going to keep riding my horse Western and English.  Haters be damned.

6 comments:

  1. Haters will Hate no matter what :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are a lot of horses out there that CAN do more than one thing. Sure, there are some that can't, but especially at lower levels, there are a lot more similarities than people want to admit sometimes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's Matt the Cowpony! I read her blog and love him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize she had a blog! Time to add that to my roster

      Delete
  4. He's your horse, you can do whatever you want!! ;)

    ReplyDelete