Monday 6 January 2014

Two Words: Mechanical Bull

On Saturday, my riding instructor, L - the one that just left my barn - sent me a message and asked if I wanted to go to a bar with her and some friends.  The bar was almost an hour away.  When I asked why that particular bar, she said, "There's a mechanical bull."

Oh yeah.  I'm in.

We all crowded into L's boyfriend's truck and made the trip.  L also brought some of her students from the barn at which she runs the lesson program so I got to meet some other horse people from the area.  We had a few drinks, played some pool and chitchatted.

Trying out my new Hunter boots on this rainy day
Only four of us decided to do the bull: L and I, and L's two non-rider friends.

It was hilarious.  The funny part was that every time the bull "bucked" - for lack of a better word - it didn't bother L and I at all.  It didn't even feel like the bull was doing anything.

But then they spin the bull.  Really fast.

The bull is plastic so there's no grip, and L and I were too tall to stretch our legs down long enough to give ourselves a little more stability.  L and I each lasted for maybe 60 seconds or so.  Apparently the record is 8 minutes.  I want to meet this person.

The other funny thing was that every time the bull threw us, L and I would automatically walk all the way around the bull in order to mount from the left.  Her friends, on the other hand, would just clammer up onto that bull however they could - from the right, the back, whatever.  One of the girls could barely figure out how to get on it.

I wish there were pictures but unfortunately it was much too dark to get any.

Needless to say we'll be going back there.  Probably in full seat breeches.

I have found my calling.

4 comments:

  1. I love mechanical bulls, I remember the first time I rode one was at the county fair when our barn went. After a couple bucks and spins my trainer told the operator "Her horse bucks more then that", she he throttled it and I stuck on for a while before flying off. Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. The guys at the bar got us to sign liability waivers, and my instructor was like, "Honey, we ride horses."

      Delete