Monday 17 February 2014

Ordinary Equestrians I Admire

There are a lot of equestrians I admire - Ian Millar, Reed Kessler, Buck Brannaman, Jane Savoie, etc. (my admiration knows no disciplines).

But there are a lot of everyday equestrians whose names you don't know that I also admire.

Like my friend, K.  She works two jobs and approximately 65 - 70 hours a week.  She comes to the barn five days a week, does groundwork for about an hour and a half, and then rides for an hour.  She's currently working two horses.

Or my barn owner.  We may have our differences, but he still amazes me.  He wakes up at 5 a.m. every morning, comes to the barn for 6 a.m., works two horses, and gets to work for 9 a.m.  Whenever he trains horses, he likes to train two at a time because apparently one is not enough work.

Or the sulky drivers at the racetrack down the street.  They fascinate me.  They are out working their horses every morning at 8 a.m.  This would not be so spectacular if I didn't live in the Maritimes.  I mean, snow.  Need I say more?  I assume that the track gets plowed, but these men drive sulkies, not sleighs.  Yet they are out there in all types of weather, and when I drive by in my car, all I can think is, "wow, those ponies are fit".

What makes a good horse person, you ask?  Hard work.  Determination.  Resilience.

I admire hard working individuals in all walks of life, but I think that it's the back breaking, sweaty, grueling conviction that makes you stop and say, "yep, there's a horse person." Whether you have a groom that tacks your horse up for you or you keep him in a shack in the back yard, we each of us only get somewhere by swinging that foot over the saddle and doing the time.

3 comments: