Wednesday 11 June 2014

Blog Hop: Fess Up To Your Mistakes

So this one from L is making a few of us cringe, I imagine.  This blog hop is all about fessing up to the horse care mistakes we've made.


As I mentioned in L's blog, I think Walker is lucky to be alive half the time.  Once I know things, I never forget, but as with all things, there is a learning curve.  I became intimately aware of medical care especially when Walker was sick for 9 months, and I suspect that my big mistake lies somewhere in there, considering how it snowballed out of control.

Walker getting initially sick was not my fault since it went through the barn much to everyone's chagrin.

Walker getting a dirty shot was partially my fault.  I didn't give him the shot that caused him to get an infection, but that is because I have a phobia of needles.  If I had just manned up and did it myself or even supervised the shots, maybe it would never have happened.  Instead, in my extreme fear, I relied on other people, one of whom clearly made a mistake.

When Walker went really lame after being on stall rest for pretty much 6 months, that was 100% my fault.  I decided to take my horse, who had been locked up for half a year, who had just moved to a brand new barn, who was due to get his feet checked, and turn him loose in the indoor arena.  Genius.  Pure genius.

And thus began our next 3 months of lameness which continues to plague us to this day.  There may have been underlying issues there, but I aggravated them, no doubt.

Other than that horrible stretch of time, Walker's health has been pretty hunky dory, and although he seems dirty ALL THE TIME, I'd say he's generally well cared for and pampered like the princess he thinks he is.

2 comments:

  1. I hope Walker's lameness gets resolved eventually! Nothing is more frustrating then on and off lameness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the worst. You can never get anything accomplished.

      Delete