Sunday 1 June 2014

Leather Care

As I was sitting in my hotel room clutching my new bridle to my chest lovingly pondering important equestrian matters, I started to worry that I am not being diligent enough with my leather care.

I left this cryptic blog post note to myself as a reminder to get you lovely folks to weigh in:
"Soap. Condition, oil.
How often?  What use"
So because even I was like, "Uh, what is this?" when I got back, let me expand that thought a little.

What do you do with a bridle/boots when you first get it?  Do you feel the need to clean it?  Condition it?  Oil it?  Treat it with anything magical?  And if so, what products do you use?

How often do you do these things?  What is your regular care routine for your leather products?

I have a bit of a shameful routine myself right now, but now that I have pretty, expensive things, I really need to up my game.  And also try to salvage my old, pretty, expensive things.

I did buy this though, since I figured that it couldn't hurt to have a product made by the same brand as the bridle:


Unfortunately, Tredstep doesn't make leather cleaning products.  I will tell you now that I am that person.  The person who buys all the things.  Branding is never so effective as with the ignorant and gullible.

4 comments:

  1. I was actually planning to do a hop on this soon!

    I personally rarely use oil unless I want to darken something. I use higher standards soap pretty much exclusively and then I have been using the CWD conditioner that came with my saddle as well as the left overs from my Devoucoux experience. Previously I had been using oakwood or effax which are totally different. The oakwood is creamy and the effax is more like a greasy balsm.

    With my boots I always used to just wipe them off with a wet sponge after a ride, clean maybe 1x a week, and condition every 2-3 weeks/1mo. I am not sure what my routine will be when my new boots arrive.

    More important than cleaning my bridle is remembering to clean my bit... Which I am kinda bad about! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. This is very helpful, and a hop on it would be even more helpful! I too almost never clean Walker's bit. Because I'm a bad forgetful mom.

      Delete
  2. Don't oil riding boots. Wipe down clean damp cloth, I use Castille Soap to "wash", antares leather conditioner to condition. And I oil my bridle and saddle and girths twice a year, before summer and before winter and if the leather feels thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't oil the boots. To be honest, I'm not one to use oil at all, which is why I ask.

      Delete