Sunday 4 November 2012

Lazy Weekend

I don't really have that much to report from this weekend.  I rode on Saturday in my Western saddle and Western spurs, and I was able to get Walker to pick up the correct lead on his good side - at least a couple times.  He was still giving me the run around, but my trainer is supposedly going to hop on him soon and give me a full report.  Since it looks like he's not hurt, she is pretty much just going to give him a little tune-up.  Other than that, I was pretty happy with him.  The barn was really busy and we were riding with some other horses.  He didn't bolt or become unmanageable, although he did try a few little tricks on me.  We even did a little bit of cantering with another horse in the ring (which is usually a disaster with him), but he wasn't that bad.  Nothing to be desired or anything, but at least he didn't have a complete meltdown.

Today, I just went out to the barn for a quick bareback ride.  It was a lot colder today, and one of the girls was riding in a quarter sheet.  I'm going to buy Walker a new cooler soon, and I'm trying to decide if I should buy him a quarter sheet as well.  I'm pretty undecided since I think that he will be ok (especially since we ride in an indoor arena all Winter long), but I'm also a sucker who would buy anything remotely useful for my horse.  I'm pretty much running my own tack shop out of my car, and I have things in there that I don't even use.

Other than that, Walker will get Monday off like normal and Tuesday as well since I have an appointment with my massage therapist.  Then we'll ride on Wednesday in the lesson.  Hopefully this week we'll also get for a little hack through the subdivision like some of the other girls did last week.  We could use a relaxing ride checking out the scenery.

Having an apple snack while I sit out in the sun on a picnic table

4 comments:

  1. I'm not going to be giving my mare a full clip this year so I can't really warrant a quarter sheet for "her", but... I have a wool quarter sheet that covers my legs, too. So I'm sure I'll be breaking that out this winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a horse ware quarter sheet in the same pattern as my cooler but in chocolate that I snagged off ebay and I am going to try it out on Hue once he gets clipped. Mostly for our outdoor rides but if it is really chilly maybe indoors as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I pretty much had myself convinced that he didn't need one, especially since he won't be clipped and my barn owner is of the opinion that he is a horse that lives in a heated barn and he'll be fine, lol. I can't see me use it until January or those blistering cold temperatures, but our indoor arena isn't heated (so similar to riding outside, minus wind). I will probably end up buying one, knowing how I love to spend money on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha. Yeah I won't use mine until Hue is clipped. I think he would get really sweaty.

      Delete