Saturday 24 November 2012

What if Money Didn't Matter

This isn't entirely horse related, but in a way it is.  Someone on Facebook posted this video and I just had to share it.  When I was in high school, I did very well in school, and the guidance counselors and teachers tried to push me to do things that I didn't want to do with my life.  I had one guidance counselor in particular who used to ask me what I wanted to be, and I always used to tell her one of either two things: I wanted to be a writer, and I wanted to be a farmer.  It used to drive her crazy that I wanted to be a farmer (and a writer, although the farmer thing concerned her more), and she used to pull me out of class, thinking that I was just joking around, not taking her seriously.  Anyway, it became a big thing in my graduating class, because a lot of the students were very smart that year, very motivated, and they too felt like they were being funneled towards something they didn't want.  I used to have random people come up to me in the hall and tell me that they honestly hoped that I did become a farmer.

Somewhere along the way I ended up in law school.  This probably isn't the place to talk about that decision or whether or not I actually want to be a lawyer, but I think it's easier, as we get older, to get lost from the goals that we used to think were so promising.  It's easier to fall in with the crowd, and it's easier to see why those teachers pushed us - because they had fears that we now have, about money and debt, surviving even.

I don't know if I will ever own a farm, but getting Walker was a step back in the direction of those goals I once had, those dreams that I wasn't willing to sacrifice in high school.

We all get a little lost sometimes.


2 comments:

  1. I saw that on Facebook as well. At first I was all enlightened, had chills, etc. Then I got kind of depressed as I don't really have a clear career path in life and if I listed to the video I wouldn't be able to afford my horse. Just can't seem to have it both ways.

    Bah humbug.

    ReplyDelete