Monday 21 January 2013

Good Reason to Be Happy I Can't Make it to the Barn

Normally, I am excited to go see my man at the barn, but this week is turning out to be busy.  I guess January is just going to be like that!  As far as I know right now, I am only getting to the barn on Wednesday for my lesson, Thursday for my short no stirrups ride, maybe Friday (depending on what time I have to go home), and Sunday. :(  Because I don't even know if I'll make it out to the barn on Friday, that means I may actually only get out there 3 days this week.

As sad as that makes me, here is a good reason to be happy that I can't make it to the barn this week:

Temperatures in Celsius.
For reference: -10 degrees Celsius = 14 degrees Fahrenheit
-25 degrees Celsius =  -13 degrees Fahrenheit

I love my province, I really do, but I can't say I love Winter.  :S

With that thought in mind, I am backtracking on my initial eagerness to jump in my lesson Wednesday.  Usually when temperatures go that crazy cold, the poor horses seem to have a hard time doing overly vigorous work, and it breaks my heart to see their little whiskers freeze after about 5 minutes.  We sometimes don't even bother to canter on those days because everyone just can't wait to get out of the cold.  It also doesn't help that our lesson is in the evening when it is always at it's coldest. We'll see what my instructor thinks, but I think that unless I am being warmed up by all our hard work, we will just speed through the lesson so I can put the pony away in his nice, warm, heated stall (and I can take a nice, warm bath!).

6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain - although I think it's going to be much colder for you! I hate to ride when it's too cold. Maybe I am a wimp...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the barn is heated. Makes up for it a bit

      Delete
  2. OMG.. -12?!?!?! -19!!!!!!!! aye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even stand the weather in california let alone what you got going on. ACK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was in California. So very much right now.

      Delete