Sunday 27 January 2013

The "Player"

This is the text I got from my barn owner when I work up this morning:

Your horse is a "player".  Yesterday he was loving Sizzle but today he loves Starr!! "MEN" hahahaha.  He truly does have quite a personality!!!

Don't I know it.

Modelling his rainsheet - the sun is directly in the way, of course
When I got out to the barn, I was happy to discover that Walker was turned out yesterday and today, and it is finally getting warm again.  There was actually snow melting off the roof!  Yay!  I also felt like an idiot because apparently D blanketed Walker for me this morning when they were putting them out since it was a little chilly this morning.  Blanketing isn't included in our board so if you want them blanketed, you have to do it yourself.  It was so nice of D to do that for me, but it was also the first time that Walker has worn his blanket all Winter long.  In fact, it's not even his Winter blanket - it's his rainsheet!  But he doesn't really need his winter blanket so this works fine.  However, when I went out to the paddock to look for him, I couldn't find him because I wasn't used to looking for my blanketed horse!  At one point, I was actually like, "Who is this horse in the plaid blanket that keeps getting in my way?  OH!  It's Walker!"

Anyway, Sunday is our easy ride today.  As in, we should be ashamed of how little we do on Sundays!  But everyone should have a lazy day.  Walker and I rode with the little girl on the pony that we did the clinic with, and nope, he still hasn't gotten over his pure disdain for ponies.  I'm pretty sure that the little girl's grandmother is worried that Walker is going to take the pony out or something because he is definitely a cranky camper when that pony is around.

We weren't riding for very long when T came in and asked if she could lunge Ella, otherwise known as the nutjob mare.  Ella is only 5 years old and is quite the handful.  We originally gave her half the ring, but when Ella started freaking out, we had to stop while she tried to get a handle on her.  Then my barn owner came into the arena.  I don't know if I've ever said much about my barn owner but she is about 5 feet tall and 100 pounds, and every single horse in our barn is terrified of her.  She gives off this No Tolerance attitude and they quiver around her.  Anyway, she took over the lunging, and we actually had to leave the arena because it was that much of a performance.  I was so excited to see the show that I trotted Walker down the hall, ripped off his bridle, threw him in his stall, and ran into our viewing lounge still holding the bridle so that I could watch. Needless to say, Ella got a much-needed attitude adjustment, and she was a million times better for T to ride afterwards.

I actually felt a little bad for T because Ella doesn't belong to her.  She's our barn owner's horse, and as T said to me, it's hard to know how far to take it with someone else's horse.  She doesn't want to be responsible if Ella goes crazy and gets hurt.  I definitely wouldn't have done some of the things that our barn owner did with someone else's horse either, but now T knows what she can and can't do so I guess that's solved.

After that performance, the little girl and I came back into the arena and finished off our ride.  We just cantered a few circles in each direction and chitchatted with T, and then I called it a day.  Helped out with barn chores, sat around and talked to people, and came home for a cozy Sunday night.  Not a bad day at all, if I do say so myself.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds bad but I think if I knew that someone's horse was going to have an explosion and I didn't have that much more of my ride to do and there was another person in the ring I probably would have figured out a way to politely ask them to wait instead of me having to stop and even get off. But I guess that situation isn't one I deal with often. Glad walker was good. Hue is not a player at all... He has one "pony" that is his and that is all. The other horses find hues antics less than desirable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well normally she does wait. I think originally she thought we were going to be able to ride in the upper half of the arena during lunging, but I don't know why since the horse is always explosive. I would have been more perturbed if I had been there to work hard at something. Things just kind of spiralled from her asking for a few minutes to lunge to our barn owner stepping in. :s

      Delete
    2. Ditto... I'm all for sharing the ring, but if you know your horse is a nut, you wait until the ring is vacant.

      Have I ever mentioned how much I like being at a private barn?! Haha.

      Btw, hilarious that you didn't recognize your own horse. Yeah, I caught that even with the lunging fiasco. Hahah. ;)

      Delete
    3. Yeah. There would definitely be some upsides to a private barn for sure. Especially considering the size of our indoor arena. There's frankly no room for an argument and other horses.

      And yes. I'm not used to looking for a blue plaid horse!

      Delete