Monday 28 January 2013

Question Period

I've been bored the past few days, and ever since buying polos and learning how to wrap them, I've been researching boots instead.  Because frankly, while wrapping polos is a lovely skill to know, that just seems time consuming and unlikely to occur!

Encouraged even more by similar recent posts from Pia & Prairie's Parade and SprinklerBandits, I have a few questions about boots for you hunter/jumpers out there.  For starters, I have never used polos or boots on my Western Pleasure horse.  Frankly, very few people use boots at our barn at all, whether they ride English or Western.  Now that we are "jumping" (I use the quotations intentionally there), I want to know our options.

Open Front Boots: I realize that open front boots are common for jumping because the open front allows the horse to feel if he knocks the poles.  However, that begs the question (for me at least), why one would bother using the boots at all.  I realize that they are for interference in general, but Walker doesn't overreach (he's too lazy for that) and he'll never be jumping anything too high (if that matters...).  Just what kind of interference should I be wary about here?

Hind Boots: The same question applies to boots for back legs.  If he's not the type of horse to interfere with himself, are they necessary?

Other Types of Front Boots: I'm curious if anyone uses anything other than open front boots for jumping.  I've done some research and know that there are cross-country boots that are closed at the front.  Walker and I don't really have anywhere to practice cross country jumping, but I'm hoping to do a little more trail riding in the summer.  I don't want him to hurt himself jumping logs/brush/etc just because he's too lazy to lift his feet up.  Honestly, if I could only get one of the videos up of us jumping, you would understand why I am so concerned about his lack of natural talent and need for protection!

What kinds of boots do you own? Do you have different pairs that you use for different occasions (shows, schooling, trails, cross-country, etc.), and what do you suggest?  

I'm really enjoying our foray into the land of jumping, but my barn owner is pretty sure that Walker is going to max out at about 2 feet, maybe a few inches higher than that. Whenever that happens, I'm sure I'll start taking jumping lessons on a real jumper, but until then, I want to make sure my little QH is well protected.

12 comments:

  1. So boots up front are typically for protection/support. You are right, an open front lets the horse feel it when they are being lazy or whatever and hit the poll... but the boot is actually for support for the leg.

    I really like these: http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-pro-sport-horse-boots-with-fleece-lining/p/X1-04239/
    for schooling. They are easy to use, easy to wash and last me a decent amount of time.

    I am going to get a set of the Eskadrons when I get some money :)
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/eskadron-value-set/p/X1-04485/?ids=c55kinexl0vks255qfsua355

    I always ride Henry with some sort of leg protection.. polos if we are hacking and the above or open front boots if we are taking a lesson.

    Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That makes sense. I actually looked at the Eskadrons earlier today. They're nice.

      Delete
  2. I have multiple sets of boots...
    Full set of fluffy sport boots (well fronts now since the hinds went MIA - so MAD!)
    Full set of brushing boots by Woof Wear - use these for trail riding but primarily cross country (full protection for solid jumps.
    Veredus Open fronts for stadium (or lessons/ jumping) and then Eskadron Ankles because Hue interferes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks that your hind boots went missing! :s I do think I want something for trail riding if we jump logs or something because I do believe he needs protection there

      Delete
    2. Also, question about the Woof Wear brushing boots. I was just checking them out online. Is it true that the same boots can be used on the front and hind (obviously different sizes though)? If I want a full set, I just buy two pairs of the same kind?

      Delete
    3. Yep. I have technically the same boot but in different sizes for Hue. Other horses wear the same on both front and hind just depends on Conformation. So Hue wears L up front and XL behind in this version: http://www.woofwear.com/for-horses/brushing-boots/single-lock-brushing-boot_black-small.html

      I think these ones are much nicer than the "club" version and are built to last longer and wear better as the edges are actually stitched where on the others it is just cut neoprene (hard to explain)

      Delete
  3. Not neccessary, also I don't really believe that a boot will support much of anything (I still use them as they are an awesome fashion accessory.)

    I have open fronts and hinds for Equitation, Carlos actually doesn't like the hinds which reminds me i need to get him used to them. I have some Splint boots for turnout, and I use polos to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why bother with the hinds, I'm wondering? Because I've been looking at buying front boots because I can make up a reason in my head why I'd use them but not hind boots. Why doesn't Carlos like them? Do they irritate him?

      Delete
    2. I tend to agree with L on this one in regards to the "support". You have to think - that's a lot of weight coming down... don't think a plastic boot with some elastic is going to actually support much. Protect? Sure.

      I would use boots
      A) If I were riding a horse over something wherein he was really, really exerting himself.
      B) If the horse were known to interfere.
      C) Over rough terrain like trails and/or cross country (and it would be boots like the Woof Wear).
      D) For looks!

      Curious, L - do you use polos for fun or function?

      Delete
    3. Carlos isn't used to them which is why he doesn't like them. Imagine it like this: he high steps in the back when they are on because its a new feeling for him. Hinds are mainly for 1) interfering, 2) protection from poles 3) Fashion.

      Julie, I use polos for function! I have the BoT polos and his legs always come out cool and tight. Regular polos wouldn't have the same effect as the welltex material in BoT.

      Delete
    4. I guess I just assumed that Walker didn't need the hinds for protection by poles because he has usually taken then down with his fronts long before his hind legs get there! Lol

      Delete
    5. N - HA! Hilarious. Good old Walker.

      L - Ah right, you're the BoT queen! Someday I will try their products out. They're just so damn pricey.

      Delete