Saturday 20 July 2013

New Development

I got in touch with my barn owner to tell him that I was debating moving Walker and explained to him that it was mostly a money situation.  He asked me about Walker's recovery, and when I explained that I decided to give him another month off, he proposed the following situation.

Apparently he has a 2 acre pasture at his house with a run-in shed.  He was thinking about moving his horse there for the remainder of the summer because he doesn't have time to work him, and for a variety of different reasons, he doesn't get turned out much.  I assume that this would obviously be a much cheaper board situation for me, and my barn owner's horse is a doll.  Walker and him share a wall and I actually do think that they would get along fine.

My mother came to visit and bought me this:
a couple magazines and my first ever polos!
This would solve a couple of my problems (although not all).  Walker would get turned out with lots of pasture (one of the reasons I debated leaving), and I would get cheaper board. 

My only concern is the 24/7 turnout situation.  I mean, he has shelter, and I know he's a horse, but he was just sick for 4 months.  I don't know if I'm 100% comfortable with him being exposed to the elements 24/7 without any chance of bringing him into a barn.  It's one thing if he lived 24/7 outside with a barn right there so that I could even bring him in some days.

It also means I absolutely cannot work him.  Even if I change my mind and decide his time off is over.  There is obviously no arena out there, and it might put us in a relatively stagnant position.  I'm sure Walker would love his time off, but then where would we be when he was done his month off?  Are we going back to the barn and back to the increased board price, or after him looking after my horse personally for several months, am I going to say thanks and take off to a new barn?

It is quite the offer and very kind of my barn owner.  But I really need to think it through.  While it sounds like a Walker dream - 24/7 turnout on pasture with a buddy - it might not necessarily be prudent. 

Today I'm off to check out a horse show at a barn where the board is twice as much as I pay now.  Obviously, we're not even considering that one, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy creeping the fancy barn!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have to decide just how much time Walker needs to be off. Otherwise, looks to be a good offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure you'll figure out what's best for you all. Nice of your mom to bring you presents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first course of action would be to ask your BO if this could be a temporary solution. Since Walker will only need to be on rest for a certain period of time, it will allow you to get what you want while keeping him aware that you don't plan on staying for too long. And take it from a horse mama who utilizes 24/7 turn out: you'll get used to it and worry less, and your horse will be incredibly happy.

    If it were me, I would take this opportunity for Walker for the set period of time (behind honest up front) and move to a new barn when the pasture vacation is up. Don't feel obligated to stay at a barn you don't love because you feel as if you owe the BO something. It is a business transaction, after all. Be upfront about your plans, thank them for their help/services, maybe throw in a gift as a thank you for taking care of your boy while he was sick, and go to a barn where you're both happier.

    Just my $0.02. :)
    (Or, $0.05 now? Damnit, I knew getting rid of the penny would cause me troubles eventually...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I still have a bunch of pennies.

      I think that before Walker got sick, I would have been ok with 24/7 turnout, but after 4 months of just one thing after another, it worries me more. One of the barns I looked at keeps their horses on 24/7 turnout (although they would bring Walker in if I wanted). I think I would be more comfortable transitioning him to that kind of turnout so that I could evaluate if it's best for him and then change my mind. Besides, with his new potentially weird shoeing, I feel wary.

      Delete
  4. Ugh decisions!!

    Oh yay for magazines and polos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued by Canadian Horse... I love reading horsey magazines from all over the world! I currently read a British publication and I managed to snatch up some Australian mags when I was there last summer :)

    As for this new development, it does sound like it could work for you, but I understand your skepticism of 24/7 turnout. You will figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading horse magazines from everywhere too! I read a lot of different ones online as well

      Delete