Tuesday 30 July 2013

Improvement


I have to say that I had a pretty good weekend, even though I didn't do too much with Walker.  On Saturday, I went out to the barn to lunge him, but I arrived about 5 minutes after he had been grained.  I was going to wait until he ate, but ever since March, he has been very slow about eating his grain.  He was just taking his good ol' time so I ended up leaving without working him.  We did do some of his new stretches though and I'm pretty happy at how he is trying.  Of course, he'll do anything for a treat!

On Sunday, I actually got up relatively early (!), went for a "run" (go month-long bootcamp!), and lunged him all before noon.  His canter was a little more strung out than previous times, and he was full of energy.  He had a few meltdowns which included some bucking and galloping, but we're finally at a point with his soundness where I don't feel bad working it out of him.  I managed to push him through it without him getting hurt, and I know that we're finally on a road to recovery. 

Mmmmm... chocolate
I have to admit, for a pony that is huffing and puffing while he jogs, let alone canters, he sure is determined to push himself.  He could barely breathe, but he was 100% the instigator.  I had to make sure to walk him for a nice long cool down even though we only lunged for maybe 15 minutes. I wish I had that kind of stamina.  

Other than that, I ended up taking a day trip on Sunday where I went to an aquarium and a chocolate factory - both exciting for different reasons!  Most of my weekends have been so busy that I really haven't been able to just relax like this.

Unfortunately, this week is busy enough that I won't be able to see Walker until Thursday.  I'm sure he won't mind, but then I will whip his butt into shape at the end of the week.

I stalked this seal forever to get this picture

5 comments: