Friday 2 August 2013

Still Stiff

Isn't it funny that I seemed to have so much more to say when I couldn't work my horse for 4 months, and now that we're back in the lunging routine, I'm at a loss for words.

We've settled into a bit of a routine, the kid and me. I go for a "run" on a trail not far from the barn and then mosey out to lunge him. He plays either the part of the lazy quarter horse or the crazy "I don't get out enough" lunatic.

Last night he was lazy. And still stiff. You never notice how much you miss your pony's swinging hips until some lady devoid of any horse knowledge can see that your horse is still stiff.

The masseuse, as I've taken to calling Walker's massage therapist, really managed to get some of that swinging back when she last visited so now I anxiously await her return next week. Since he's overall sound, I think I'll start riding him by mid-August to see if a little more intensive work can help as well.

In other news, I did not give my notice to change barns. I know, I know. I went on about it for weeks, but when it came down to it, I really only had the one option 40 minutes away. I LOVED the barn owners and facilities, but I did the math and the extra gas money was really going to put me in a tight spot and not really add anything to what I have now if I couldn't enjoy it. I'll probably revisit the issue again once August is over. 

But on that note, I learned yesterday that my BO has an instructor who comes from a dressage and eventing background. Maybe there's hope for our future yet.

5 comments:

  1. Moving and Change are never easy in any part of life, some of the toughest decisions any of us will ever make. I hope the instructor can help you out where you want it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I was all set to go but sometimes it's only after you take a good long look at your options that you realize you don't have it that bad off after all.

      I hope the instructor will be helpful too - as long as I can get into her lesson schedule. My BO has several instructors at the moment so I will have to strongly suggest that they'll need to make room for me in this time slot :P

      Delete
  2. Move and change is tough. My only advice is don't let yourself get stuck or feeling stuck if it gets really unpleasant. There's nothing worse than letting a barn environment ruin what we love so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know. I don't plan on getting stuck there, but I'm waiting for the right opportunity. Things may change in a month - finances, barns opening, etc. for now, we only had one option and it really couldn't work for us

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you made the right decision. You'll know when the time is right. For now, just enjoy your time with your pony :-)

    ReplyDelete