Wednesday 7 August 2013

Saddle Dilemma Magnified

My saddle dilemma went from bad to worse last night, as most things tend to do with Walker and me.

The masseuse came out and worked him. She was actually happier with how much better he felt but agreed with me that he continued to look stiff on the lunge. We decided its because he always reverts back to WP. His default is the jog/lope and so he doesn't stretch under himself. She wants me to get after him to really push him forward. Yeah right. When he was cantering, she said, "Oh yeah. He's really Western Pleasure. Look at that lope." Which almost made me laugh because it was definitely not his WP lope and while slower than most people's idea of a canter, that lope would be worthless in a WP ring. Sigh. Not good enough for WP, not good enough for English. We fit nowhere.

the face that launched a thousand heartaches
Anyway, we discussed saddles, and she explained to me why she doesn't think the wintec/bates would work. Mainly it's because he has such a wide back (to make a long, complicated story shorter and easier). 

This was bad enough but then we drug out the saddle I had. I knew nothing about English saddles when I bought it (and know very little more now, especially when it comes to fitting). In her words, my saddle is so narrow in the back that it is practically a "pony saddle". Thanks for that great news. It is not only ill fitting but not something I should really continue to ride him in.

Oh, but she agrees that he's 100% sound and that I could be riding him RIGHT NOW. You know. If I had a saddle - any saddle - to ride him in. In a barn full of Western riders, I'm definitely not finding an English saddle anywhere...  And for similar reasons, I've decided that my Western saddle is no longer suitable as well.

So besides putting out a few calls to some friends to see what they have lying around, I'm going to have the masseuse back out to do some tracings, and yes, we will probably end up with a used saddle. At this point, I just want to curl up in a ball and cry ride.

8 comments:

  1. Can you borrow a western saddle from another rider in the mean time? Also, do Ranch Horse classes exist where you are? They have traditional halter, pleasure, and trail classes just like Western Pleasure but they reward a more forward moving horse with a more natural headset. Walker sounds like he might be perfect for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I can borrow a western saddle either. I know some riders at the barn borrow my barn owner's stuff but it is very expensive and he doesn't really know me that well yet. Besides, Walker is not really built the way a lot of his QHs are so I'm not sure. I've been debating that although it will not be so helpful with some of the more English-oriented things I want to work on (ex: two-point - super hard in a western saddle as is stirrupless riding).

      Ummm. We don't really have those types of classes but I know what you're talking about. We have trail but there's not as much emphasis on the ranch "form" horse as the trail aspect - at least around here. Unfortunately Walker doesn't have the natural headset - he definitely has the WP lowset head. We could return to WP if we wanted to. I just don't want to. It's where he fits the best though.

      Delete
    2. I have often thought about trail though because he is as solid as a rock when it comes to trail-like things (and he does have a background in it). I have videos of him from his previous owner where they rode him into a river, down a road, over objects in the woods, etc. But I was kind of hoping that would be something we'd go back to later in life when I wanted him to be more of a trail horse anyway.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! At least you have some answers now. I can say from experience that a change in saddle can do wonders, but I know it's frustrating to need a new saddle in the first place. Hang in there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was fine looking for a new saddle when I thought I had my old one to keep riding in (or when I couldn't ride), but now that I have nothing, it is stressful.

      Delete
  3. Maybe you can sell your English saddle and get something else? Or maybe a friend will have one for you to borrow :)

    Hoping for something good to come up for ya!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately my saddle is fairly worthless, but I do have money saved up for a new one. I just need to find one.

      Delete