Friday 23 August 2013

Engaging the Lazy

In preparation for my ride tonight, I spent some time taking a step back and asking myself why my pony is heavy on the forehand. Sure, he's behind the leg, and sure, he has always been heavy on the forehand, but he is also unfit. Remember those 6 months where we couldn't ride? Yeah. Needless to say, expecting the ponykins to prance around like the dressage superstar he'll never be is unrealistic.

I also came to another decision: spurs. I just gotta use 'em. As lovely as it is to say that I've finally (mostly) weaned him off spurs, I can't get things accomplished when I'm panting because I'm not strong enough or we're fighting over the stupid things. One can be light in spurs. They are, after all, merely reinforcements for when your horse isn't doing what you want. 

I also decided that I should look at Walker like a brand new horse - one that I didn't already invest a year's worth of work into getting to a certain point just to have it all come crashing down. Looking back on where we were does nothing to help me get past where we are.

Finally, I think it really is all about that damn half-ok stride. Better to have three really beautiful strides than ten really horrible ones. Better to have thirty minutes of sweat and awesomeness than an hour of strung out.

So tonight we focused on transitions, and while he really loves to dive down, he gave me some good effort.  I could tell that I was working him, and we had some moments where we really accomplished some balance (even if it only meant a slight improvement).

I also got a little wild and crazy and decided to cool him down in the outdoor arena.  The unfenced outdoor arena.  It was quite the treat.  He fought with me the entire time, even though we were just walking, and can I just say, circles are my friend.  One of the ladies at the barn was kind enough to stay with us so that we didn't end up on the highway.

Also, here is one of the pictures that my mother took last night.  It is one of the few decent ones from the pack.  You may look at it and disagree, but trust me - once I start posting the bad ones, you will agree this is a nice one too!  Plus, I am extremely impressed that although he is totally nosed out in this picture (which is because I was giving him a completely free rein), he's actually stepping up under himself!  Yay for the little things!

3 comments:

  1. Thats a good mindset to switch to

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, great new plan. He looks really nice in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New plan sounds great. It will take some time to get through the legging back up phase.

    ReplyDelete