Friday 9 August 2013

A Lesson in Perception

More often than not, our vision of our horses is skewed by other horses - horses we know, horses we see on tv, horses we see in our imaginations.

For instance, when I was a little girl, I rode a lot of what I will fondly call "the ranch style Quarter horse". They were roughly 14 hands and definitely short and stocky. At a whopping 15.2 hands, Walker seemed like a giant when I got him. In fact, my parents still think he's huge.

At my last barn, he was average. There were only a couple horses taller, and 95% of the horses were quarter horses. Walker is the stocky breed of QH, not that appendix sporty model. So when he fills out, he looks quite plump. When he was at the old barn, I was pretty sure I had an overweight QH on my hands.  I was definitely debating diets.

At my new barn, the horses are huge. They are still mostly QHs, but they are built like tanks. I mean, if one of those things plowed into you, they'd take you out. They dwarf Walker significantly.  This led me to believe that up until this moment, I must have been delusional about the size of my QH. He is not actually overweight, I said to myself. He must be small and could still use a few more pounds.

redneck saddle fitting
Tonight I "measured" him for a saddle with a bunch of templates I printed off the Internet. Yes, I know - redneck saddle fitting. Don't worry. I'm not actually going to put the well being of my horse in the hands of a piece of card board and pipe cleaner.

Anyway, I was DEAD CONVINCED that Walker had a normal size withers (compared to, you know, all the horses on the planet).  He looks normal to me, and compared to these monstrosities in the stalls next to him, he might even be narrow (I whispered to myself).  Nope.  No matter how I measured him, he was coming out Wide/Extra Wide.  OBVIOUSLY I was doing it wrong.  I mean, Walker is clearly not EXTRA wide.

Finally, another barn mate showed up.  She let me try her horse's Western saddle on Walker's back (god bless her), and we confirmed that Walker is your normal broad-backed QH - Full Quarter Horse Bars all the way.  Then I told her my theory that Walker would probably need a standard English gullet.  She used to ride English as well so she promptly informed me that no, I had a QH on my hands, and he was definitely wide or extra wide.  Good to know.

It just goes to show that you can get an idea of what you think your horse is and be completely wrong, just based on other horses you see.  This doesn't just translate to saddle fitting, but to all aspects of equestrianism.  Don't compare yourself to others.  It gets you nowhere.

*Also, don't give your horse a weight complex.  That's important too.

8 comments:

  1. Totally agree about comparing!! All horses are different and all riders are in different places too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, someone's Chapter 1 is someone elses Chapter 5 makes no sense to compare, we are all different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I tell anyone that my tiny, delicate 15hh Morgan goes in an XW saddle, they look at me like I've just said she's part alien. She has a deceptively flat back and wide shoulders, despite being small elsewhere. So, yes, comparing to others and just by looks can be misleading!

    If you end up needing an XW saddle, try looking at Duett saddles - they are made for wide horses and are reasonably priced new. They were the only saddle that worked for my mare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Houston is a big strapping boy yet rides in a N and Medium Narrow tree for jump and dressage respectively. Another thing to consider is that one brands medium could be like another brands wide. Every brand is different in their sizing. In addition there can be different tree shapes with English saddles. I would attempt to try as many as you can. No idea what's available to you in that neck of the woods but I'm telling you depending on what you have to spend you can get some really nice used saddles that even pre loved could be way more comfy for you both. Just a thought. You guys wil get it all worked out.

    Trumball Mtn tack isn't in Canada but their website might be helpful to you In your hunt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I figured that the tree sizes would vary across brands. I'm so surprised that Houston is a narrow! See, this is what I mean!

      I've pretty much resigned myself to a used saddle. I had just been hoping for something new for a change, but it looks like it might simply be easier to go used.

      Delete
  5. Haha! Believe it or not, Limerick went in a narrow jump saddle, medium-narrow dressage. I would have bet a lot of money on him being a wide, considering his back is roughly comparable to a couch...

    My experience with Limerick definitely taught me that a) I am not a saddle fitter and cannot eyeball or even attempt to guess a horse's tree size and b) most horses will surprise you! Like you said, they're all different. I have been able to use most of my oversize tack on Panda and Stormy, who are both barely 16 hands... I never would have thought that any of Limerick's stuff would work on them, but what do I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I'm surprised that Limerick is also narrow! Craziness. I always knew I wasn't anywhere near a saddle fitter but I guess I can't even eyeball a guess!

      Delete