Wednesday 10 July 2013

Walker Update

Today's Walker Update is brought to you by: Walker's farrier and vet, duking it out over his right front.

Last night Walker didn't appear off, or at least not noticeably off (I'm not the best for judging these things once they become subtle). I tacked up and hopped on, and other than a few major arguments, had a pretty good ride.

Although he still gets winded a little, he broke into the canter a couple times, which makes me hopeful that we'll be cantering again in no time.

That is, once we fix his right front.

It took me awhile to figure out the pattern but I noticed that Walker would throw a hissy fit every time we circled at the trot to the right or rounded a corner. He was good on the straight, just bad at those damn corners.

At first I mistook his disobedience for his attempt at escape. There are doors at the corner, and I simply thought he was trying to be done with me.  Then I realized that we weren't having those same arguments (to that extent at least) going to the left. In fact, every time he broke to the canter, it was going to the left. You may not remember but the left is his bad lead and generally stiffer side.

This morning when I finally tracked my farrier down to see when he thinks he should come tackle the mess that is Walker's back feet, we got into a conversation about Walker's right front. He pointed out that although the elevation of the heel is much improved in his left, his right still appears low on the X-rays. 

He thinks we should put a pad with elevation on that foot only, but my vet thinks that his hooves are improving. She thinks that based on his conformation, elevation may be too much for him.

I must say I'm torn. Who does one believe - the medical professional or the man whose sole purpose is to fix pony's feet? Based on my observations of Walker's discomfort, I must say I'm leaning towards the latter. 

I'm also slowly toying with the thought of giving Walker the whole summer off, maybe even moving him to a pasture-turnout style of living. Although it breaks my heart to even consider giving up my summer, maybe I'm not helping the situation. I am waiting for the vet to answer one of my 1700 emails and I may flit the idea past her. Right now it is just an idea in its beginning stages which may quickly be squashed, but perhaps it is the right thing to do for Walker's longtime health.

8 comments:

  1. Without knowing either your vet or your farrier... With a GOOD farrier, I would be more inclined to follow their advice. It happens too often than vets don't know enough about feet; obviously this is my personal opinion as more studying on hooves isn't mandated, but I think it possibly should be. Some vets are great, especially those who will rely on and work with a good farrier when they know something is possibly slightly beyond their scope, but it is too often I see vets and farriers contradicting one another and that makes it hard for an owner to figure out which way is up.

    I may be in the minority here, but I think the summer turnout may not be a bad idea. I am not 100% clear on Walker's diagnosis and your vet's recommendations, but I wouldn't want to be riding a horse who is foot sore. I can see riding a sore horse in other areas where they may work out of their issues, but any foot soreness would make me rather apprehensive as I would expect to only make it worse by riding.

    Anyway, that's just my opinion, which we'll call a bit incomplete. Just going off of things you've said here, not really knowing the whole story. I know you'll do what's best for Walker. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is partially why I'm inclined to follow the farrier. The vet seems knowledgable (obviously), but the farrier sees feet all day long AND he has worked with several different vets.

      As for riding a foot sore horse, I have been apprehensive about this myself. I have only been riding him when he seems really good. I don't like the idea of us getting into an argument and him hurting himself.

      Delete
  2. Its unfortunate that your vet and farrier aren't working/talking together. A lot can be accomplished that way. You won't be missing out on the summer if you turn Walker out, you will still take lessons with the BM. Walker will have time to get his feet literally underneath him. It will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they normally work really well together, but they have decided to disagree with eachother on this issue.

      Delete
  3. Can you get a 2nd opinion from a different vet? If two vets think the same thing, you may need to listen to them instead of the farrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have. Vet #2 is on the farrier's side. This should make it easier to side with the farrier, but if he had sided with the vet, that would have made the choice clearer.

      Delete
  4. Can you get a another opinion? Oh wait I see that you did... Maybe another vets opinion again?

    Hmmm IDK what to tell you... go with your gut.

    I agree with L, you can still take lessons if you turn him out and it might be a good reset for him.

    Whatever you choose, we support you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like majority is on the Farrier's side. I don't know, subtle lameness just sucks. Perhaps he does need a break and you can take lessons in the mean time? As Karley said, whatever you choose, we all support you!

    ReplyDelete