Saturday 15 September 2012

Mini Bolts

Yesterday when I got out to the barn, I decided to diffuse my frustration at Walker's frantic corner issues by riding him English.  When I ride English, I don't fight as much.  I mostly work on my balance in the English saddle, my two-point, etc.  Because I'm not as balanced in an English saddle, I can't get into the same kind of fights with him the way I do in the Western saddle, and my English spurs aren't as big so he doesn't respect them as much.  Needless to say, riding English is a lot more work with Walker and so it's a good thing to do every so often because I need to build up both strength and balance.

All in all my ride was pretty good.  I practice my two-point over poles and even had him trot over some elevated poles (although at one point he smashed through them).  I did a little bit of cantering but it's harder to get him to canter, and getting him to canter around frantic corner is almost out of the question. I definitely have a better chance in my Western spurs!

Today I decided to ride English again to continue the strength and balance training (for me).  When I got to the barn, there were 5 horses already in the arena.  This was probably my mistake.  More horses means more of a chance that Walker will misbehave, and as I already mentioned, I am unable to get into fights with him in the same way when I'm in the English saddle.  I was just jogging him around the upper part of the arena at one point, and then he noticed that ALL the other horses were down at the lower end of the arena.  Surprise, surprise - he decided to bolt down to them.  At that point, I just rode it out, and in fact, it was what I would consider a mini-bolt.  One of the girls didn't even think he was bolting.  She thought that I simply asked him to canter down to them, but I explained that he did that all on his own.  It was fine only in the sense that he didn't buck and throw a gigantic fight the whole way down and it was a lot like riding him at a canter, but it wasn't fine in the sense that I HATE IT when he bolts.

Bolting is a horrible habit, and it's also an unsafe habit.  It's disrespectful and I really don't know how to fix it.  I refuse to bit him up with a stronger bit just because I know he will fear me ripping his mouth out.  This is not a solution as far as I'm concerned.  Of course, when most horses take off or speed up, instructors or trainers suggest turning them in small circles.  Well, obviously, this is out of the question because I can't turn him when he is actually paying attention to me.  So unfortunately, despite all our hard work, there is still only two problems left to deal with and they are interconnected: bolting and not turning at the lope.

Other than that, I really didn't do anything.  I mostly sat around on Walker with the other girls and talked because no one was in a mood to work.  Unfortunately, I can't work if they're all going to sit around because Walker will just bolt to them every time.  So I did that one unplanned-for canter, trotted for a few minutes, sat around for 15 minutes, and went in.

I'm considering asking my trainer to hop on him sometime again soon.  I would like to simulate a bolting experience by organizing a couple girls to sit at the bottom of the arena on their horses while she rides up at the top.  I'm sure my trainer wouldn't have half as much of a problem as I do - and I'm sure that Walker knows that.  Unfortunately, I really have no ideas for that one.  With the refusal to turn, I consider that something I just have to work on with him (although, if I get the trainer to hop on him, then I will ask her to do that too - once again, I know it won't be a problem with her.  It's more me).

On another note, my barn owner finally brought back one of her mares and her foal.  The baby is adorable!  I'm so excited.  What a leggy little thing, and he's only three months!  I will have to try and get a picture sometime soon.  He's a pretty well behaved colt for that young.  The man that foaled him worked with him from birth so he can already be easily led, and he's even been clipped!  I'm in love already!

No comments:

Post a Comment