Wednesday 12 September 2012

Pointless Saddle Research

So as I mentioned before, a girl at my barn just got a new Collegiate saddle, and ever since then, I have been doing saddle research by the bucket loads.  Since I can't afford a new English saddle (and really shouldn't get one until I settle into English and know what I truly want), it's nice to window shop.  That being said, I already feel like I have an idea of what I want in a saddle:

First of all, I want it to fit Walker and me.  Ideally, I would love to have a saddle fitter come out and tell me which saddles would work best on Walker, but I live in Atlantic Canada and I'm guessing that is out of the question.  If I thought I could find someone to fit us though, that would be the ideal situation because nothing is worth either one of us being in pain (although I'd probably take some mild pain on my behalf better than any pain on Walker's).

Second of all, I want something aesthetically pleasing.  After all, if you're going to pay a fortune for a saddle, you might as well like it.  I'm partial to darker colours.  The saddle I have now is black - in fact, both of my saddles are black.  For whatever reason, black looks stunning on Walker, and I think that a lighter colour just won't have the same effect on him.  Similarly, I don't like the kind of knee blocks on a saddle that aren't molded and are more visible:

While I'm sure there is a purpose for the three grooves where the knee blocks are, I don't like the look of them

On the subject of knee blocks, I want to make sure the saddle actually has some.  Something tells me that they will be wildly handy when Walker and I go to jump, but that being said, I don't want velcro/adjustable ones like I have now.  My adjustable ones easily come off, and it would be just my luck to knock them off mid-jump.  Thigh blocks would be nice too but not necessary.  They sound handy but I'm not really sure if I'd like them in reality.

I also want something with a little stick.  And by stick, I mean not so smooth that I can slide off the saddle - because if I can, I will.  I want to be able to grip the saddle, not have to glue myself to the saddle (it has crossed my mind before...).  The saddle I have now has a suede seat, and while I have been assured that a suede seat + suede on breeches = glue, suede gets dirty easily.  There are still little bits of hay and other debris in the saddle from god knows what, and suede is just not as easy to clean.  In that regard, I want a saddle that is not completely smooth, but not hard to clean like suede.  I want it to be a leather seat with some grip.

Finally, I want a saddle appropriate both for jumping and the flat.  Even when I start to jump, it will probably be rarely, and so jumping is only a minor piece of importance to me.  If a saddle can't do both, then I probably shouldn't shell out a fortune for it.  Unless, of course, some generous benefactor (or my mommy) wants to buy me a jumping saddle AND a saddle for flatting, in which case, there's not as much need for compromise. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment