Tuesday 2 October 2012

Crossrail Attempt #1

Today, Walker and I attempted a crossrail.  I have to admit, my horse has got skills, and by skills, I of course mean that he couldn't jump a caterpillar if it crawled right in front of him!


First of all, I decided to lunge him over some crossrails.  These crossrails were SMALL, so small that I was entirely sure he could walk over them if he tried.  But of course, he didn't try.  Instead, he simply managed to take the entire jump down with him to the ground, not once, not twice, but almost every time he did it.

Say what you may about my determination, but I decided to get on him and try it anyway.  Once I was on him and able to give him a little direction (shoot for the middle, pick up your feet, etc.), it went a little better.  He only managed to take the jump down once, and he realized happily that he didn't actually need to jump.  I  started out very small (barely off the ground), and then put them up a notch (at 1'6" on the sides, so probably less than 6" off the ground in the middle).  We did that for about 15 minutes straight, and it was pretty clear that he was getting pretty tired.

Although we never actually jumped, I think that it was a good experience.  Clearly, Walker needs to build up a little more strength and stamina since jumping really isn't his thing.  He also has to learn to pick up the pace since his instinct is to try a Western Pleasure jog, which simply isn't fast enough to get him over the poles.  On Thursday I think I will repeat what I did today, and then try putting it up another notch.  In at least one notch or so, he will be forced to give me a little bounce over the jump, so I will finally get to see what it actually feels like to jump.  As much as I want to lunge him over them first to see how he's going to jump and get him exercised, I just don't think that's a viable option - not unless I want to repeatedly watch him take it to the ground.

Unfortunately I am crazy busy this week with school so I don't think I'm going to make it to my lesson on Wednesday, which is fine by me considering how ansy he gets.  I will try to get out there as much as I can between studying and writing a paper before the long weekend when I'm home for Thanksgiving.  Hopefully we can actually get in a real jump and I'll have something to brag about over turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment