Sunday 21 October 2012

Off the Wagon

I have fallen off the wagon this week both with my desire to go to the barn and my actual ability to go there. As I mentioned earlier in the week, I suddenly got swamped with school work and try as I might to avoid it, it got the better of me. Unfortunately the next couple months only look like they're going to get worse. Also this week, I had to go home for the wake and funeral of the mother of a friend of mine - an unfortunate but unavoidable reason to miss out on Walker time. When I got back, I tried to be devoted to my school work, but one thing led to another and I just got lazy instead - including with Walker. Yesterday it poured rain and I knew that the barn would be busy because of the rider level exams and because everyone would be forced to ride inside, and so I went on a mini shopping spree instead. I have been doing so good with my money these last 6 months of having Walker, but last night I just felt the need to buy things - and not horse things either. In total this past week, I only ever did get to the barn Tuesday and Thursday since last Saturday and then finally today. I guess you could say I fell off the wagon in a number of ways.


The shakes



That being said, I had a pretty good ride today.  I got to the barn and no one was around, so I had the outdoor arena to myself.  I decided to ride Walker English outside for a change (as I usually ride him Western in the outdoor - more for habit than anything else), and we even jumped our first crossrail outside.  Up until now, I have only been trotting crossrails in the indoor arena because I didn't want to give him the opportunity to misbehave or bolt while I was learning.

The size of our crossrail - not huge, but a good start

He was pretty good overall.  While jumping, he even trotted into the crossrails and a couple of times he cantered out - which is the first time I've done that since there's no space for that in the indoor arena.  With regards to the cantering, however, I was disturbed to find out that he was still picking up the wrong lead on his good side.  It wasn't all the time; I definitely had more success outside than inside, but it was more frequent than I would have liked.  However, frantic corner is no more - since he's picking up his stiff side easier now, we have been actually cantering the corner.  I shouldn't jinx myself, but I was pretty happy.  Now on to the new problem...

On his way back to his friends to tell them how annoying I am

I also managed to catch the majority of my ride on video - including our little jumps. I am in the process of trying to figure out how to cut it (since a lot of it is focused in on nothing with me out of the frame), but my computer really isn't cooperating.  I'll post it as soon as I work it out.  Although my form over the jumps leaves a lot to be desired, I'm not too mad about that since I've had little to no direction on how to jump and we're really just starting out.  I am, however, pretty cranky about my form while trotting and cantering and I will not be posting videos about that.  Why can't I seem to manage to keep my hands quiet!  I'm going to glue them to the saddle!

Single file; follow the leader

Love 

No comments:

Post a Comment