Friday 26 October 2012

Grand Prix Jumper

Since I'm super busy with school, I will simply re-paste my Facebook status as quick and dirty way of explaining my ride this morning:

I have found the perfect formula for jumping your horse. First, start with a horse that is so uncharacteristically hyper that he attempts to break the cross-ties while you are tacking him up. Be sure to turn out all of his friends in front of him so that he knows that they are having fun, and he is not. Then, put a brand new bit in his mouth - make sure it's gentle and something you won't be able to control him in. Take him to the top of the arena and ask him to run down towards the gate. The jump, you see, will be in the middle of your path. As he picks up the speed to something seemingly dangerous, feel free to yell "Whoa!" and flail around - this will encourage him to ignore you. Then jump. Don't forget to swear and look wide-eyed in terror as you soar over the jump. Voila! You're a jumper.

That pretty much sums it up.  Other than that, Walker was being a pretty big jerk.  I think the D-ring snaffle bit (which, from now on, I will refer to as the disaster bit) is not strong enough for him.  I realize that it shouldn't make a difference, but if he's going to be that strong in that bit, I would need to life weights to even get his head down, let alone control him.

Oh, and he managed to electrocute himself.  He kept trying to run into corners where he could see his friends in their pasture.  He stuck his head over the arena fence and rubbed his nose by accident along the electric fence.  I would feel bad except I'm hoping he associates the spark with me punishing him! At least I would have gotten some of the upper hand.

I think I would have been mad about my ride except, frankly, jumping him like that was fun. I was all by myself in the arena so there was really no harm to be done, and I had a friend there grazing her horse (who is a nurse and could presumably resuscitate me if Walker made it over the jump and I didn't).  All in all a success to compare with my disastrous day yesterday!

2 comments: