Wednesday 3 October 2012

Lesson Plan

Because I have to miss my lesson because of a test, I worked out my lesson plan for the next time I'm at the barn.

Unfortunately I'm wrestling with myself not to make it more complicated. You see, a friend of mine who got back into riding at the same time as me just jumped her first jump Tuesday and her instructor had them cantering two foot verticals by the end. Needless to say, I'm jealous and flashbacks of my jumping disaster of a pony have been plaguing my thoughts. I know Walker has it in him and I don't want to rush him, especially because I don't want him to associate poles/jumping with stress. I designed my lesson plan after my first crossrail attempt but I'm struggling not to just throw up a normal size crossrail (or vertical) and push him through it.

My original plan was this: start with some simple flat poles and then incorporate the mini-crossrail (elevated poles essentially) like Tuesday all at the trot. Then I'll start trotting the mini and loping the flat pole as in my diagram below. I may push the crossrail up to see if I can get a bounce from him but all at the trot. I like this plan because it builds on what we did together and gives me a chance to gauge his fitness before we really jump. Although my friend was lucky enough to ride a seasoned jumper pony, I have my Western Pleasure darling and I simply have to take it slow (although I know for a fact that he's jumped before - but that was no sooner than 6 months ago). Added to the mix is me: the girl who has never jumped before so although I may attempt to lope an elevated pole or trot a higher crossrail, for now I won't do both and I'll just take it slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment