Wednesday 30 April 2014

My Pony's Weight Problems

You know how when someone makes jokes about your weight and it really gets you down.

As it turns out, so do jokes about your pony's weight.

I bought that high flax supplement for Walker and it turns out its high in fat as well. He's already on High Fat High Fibre, and as a classic halter style quarter horse, he really has no problems packing on the pounds.  He takes the phrase "easy keeper" to a whole new level.

But when I mentioned to some barn people that the new supplement is also high in fat, they were all very "well, he really doesn't need that, does he?"

Excuse me?  You're seriously going to criticize my horse's weight? Back off, sista! Walker is just fine in all his voluptuous awesomeness.

Then the vet came out to do his yearly vaccinations and teeth floating, and she also did a full physical.

Loving life
And you know what she said?  "He looks lean and muscular."  Lean and muscular.  I kid you not.  TAKE THAT, haters.

Other than that, the vet pointed out that Walker has some fluid build-up in his hind hocks.  She suggested either a joint supplement or even injections.  I know that injections are common and maybe it's my phobia of needles and downright distrust of medicine, but I think I'm going to go with the supplement.  I had already been debating a joint supplement so she simply confirmed my suspicions.

She also suggested that I might like to try Soft Ride boots.  I have also looked at those before.  She thinks that a lot of Walker's stiffness coming out of the stall is actually foot soreness and that he might benefit from some added comfort.  She said that she has seen some great results with them, and frankly, I'd pay anything to keep my pony comfortable.

Not including this of course.
I doubt this is comfortable at all.

So needless to say, it was an expensive visit bound to become more expensive.

6 comments:

  1. I've done both supps and injections I think in a lot of cases they work well in tandem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you have used both at the same time before? Hmmm. I guess that probably would be doubley effective.

      Delete
  2. I would prefer injections to supplements any day. Haven't seen a difference with any supplement Simon has ever been on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. In that case, maybe I'll only try the supplement for awhile, and if no effect, I'll take her up on the injections.

      Delete
  3. Everyone teased my Quarter for being fat and over-weight as well..then my vet came out and told everyone he rated a 7 on the scale and that THIS was how quarter's should look! Mwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! QHs just don't look good when they're all skinny!

      Delete