Sunday 4 May 2014

Cardio

Walker and I have been focusing on a little cardio. Me with Zumba, him with trot sets.

I was really happy with him this week. We generally did 5 minutes jogging or trotting, and 2 minutes walking. I also threw in a set or two of 1 minute cantering, with emphasis on a nice upward transition instead of the actual length of time. 

It really helped control his puffing and panting. It wasn't nearly as bad as it was the week before. The intervals are clearly going to be a good thing for getting back into shape.

He was also giving me some relaxed licking and chewing at the walk. If I could only get that same kind of relaxation at the faster gaits, we'd be cooking up a storm.

Unfortunately he's usually a bit tense if I have any amount of contact. While I feel like I'm being as gentle as I can, I know that I jab him periodically and I'm sure he has good reason for the jaw tension.  As usual, he's 10x calmer on a loose rein so I always start and end on that note at all three gaits.

The reason I need new boots.  I managed to
button them at the top though.  
The theme of May is going to be fitness, fitness, fitness. Hopefully we can simultaneously work on the other things (lateral work, being on the bit, using the caboose). 

And also the outdoors. I'm going to work myself up to the outdoors again. First by lunging out there, then cooling off out there, then some mindless meandering, and then finally working out there. It'll be Winter again by the time I'm psychologically prepared!

4 comments:

  1. I need new boots tooo, I have holes down by my ankles that my heels keep slipping out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In your La Mundials? That's not good! :(

      Delete
  2. Ah I am jealous of your fitness in May! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you'll have the baby in no time and be right back to work, I'm sure! haha

      Delete