Thursday 26 September 2013

Bounce

Wednesday I had another great lesson, which was good since I was a zombie on Tuesday. In fact, at one point I thought I might have to cancel my lesson but the thought of good money going to waste gave me the strength to persevere.

I rode a new horse, Bentley. Apparently he's "a little green" in some things but no one ever elaborated what those things were. The only thing I noticed was he was pretty forward at times and sometimes preferred to fast trot instead of canter. But once I knew what I was dealing with, I didn't really have any problems, although I kept losing my stirrup at the canter. Bouncy canter + slippery saddle + my inability to keep my heels down with short stirrups

After some warm up we got to business. L set up a gymnastic for me (my first gymnastic). First it was just trot set to pole to pole, then trot set to pole to crossrail until finally it was a trot set to a crossrail to a two foot vertical. It was also the first time I cantered a jump (at least a vertical).

Watch out, Ian Millar. I'm gunning for your spot on the Olympic team.

After the lesson, B was there riding Brio and showed me a good exercise to get Walker working on the bit. I decided to go grab him, sans saddle, and worked on her exercise for 15 - 20 minutes bareback.

My discovery: I can get Walker on the bit, which I guess I knew. I just can't keep him on the bit. She pretty much convinced me to stop being unrealistic and to give the pony a chance to build up his strength. Touché.

Then I did some bareback cantering, almost fell off rounding the corner, righted myself, and praised the pony for being a good sport.

Friday I will finally have the saddles to try and I'll be sure to give a full update.

No comments:

Post a Comment