Friday 20 September 2013

Wednesday and Beyond

I had every intention of writing about Wednesday's lesson on, you know, Wednesday, but the week got away with me.

Wednesday I rode Cheyenne again.  We worked on a bunch of different things, including some simple lead changes.  We also worked on trotting and cantering a circle.  L set up two poles side by side and I had to trot/canter in a circle with the same amount of strides on each side of the circle.  So, like, impossible.  Each side of the circle was drastically different.  I was essentially trotting an iceberg.

Anyway, then we did a little jumping.  You know, the fun stuff.  She set up two crossrails and I had two run-outs.  My first run-outs.  Not that this is something to be proud of.  Both times were my fault.  The first time, I don't know where my brain went, but about 2 strides before the jump, I just took my leg off and my mind got frazzled.  Frazzled minds are contagious so Cheyenne decided to go around the jump instead.

The second time she ran out, she was clearly seeing if she could get away with it since I gave her the precedent.  Needless to say, she did not do that again.

Then, I went over the crossrail again and as I was rounding the corner, all I heard L say was, "So don't panic".  When I came around the circle, she had bumped the next jump up - to a 2 foot vertical.  Baby's first real vertical.  I was so freaking excited.  I got left behind on the first attempt, especially since Cheyenne likes to over jump.  I think that L thought I would just do it once, but she clearly doesn't know how keen I am.  I asked to do it again and ended up doing it a good few times after that.  Obviously my position needed work, but I had one really good one where I felt good and L said I looked good.

Then I moved on to Walker.  I tacked up the ponykins and headed to the arena.  All of sudden, about 10 minutes in, a wave of exhaustion just rushed over me.  I don't know what it was.  I mean, obviously I was tired, but I guess the week just caught up to me.  I literally had to force myself to ride for another 15 minutes because, well, 10 minutes does not a ride make.

I came straight home and conked out an hour earlier than I normally do.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly IMO 25 minutes can be a substantial ride depending on what you are working on. For instance if I am working hard core on transitions Hue will be wiped after 30 minutes. So it all depends on the content :) I can get the same amount of actual work done in less time certain rides.

    Understandable to be wiped! I feel your pain - and you did have a lesson before it too! Woohoo for verticals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I know. It's just that my 25 minutes never feel that productive. And I can guarantee that Wednesday night's ride wasn't since I was half asleep!

      Delete