Monday 16 September 2013

That Canter Please

I hoped on Sunday that B would be at the barn to go for another trail ride but she was nowhere to be found so I decided to simply ride in the outdoor arena. 

It was the first time we've ridden in the outdoor arena (really ridden) alone. Another set of firsts, I suppose.

Not surprisingly, Walker was a jerk. He went to great lengths just to put one of his dainty little hooves outside the ring just so that he could prove that I was not the boss of him. This resulted in a couple good bolts on his behalf (I can't help but applaud his ingenuity and determination) and for the most of our ride, we simply hopped sideways along the long end of each side of the arena.

As usual, when Walker and I fight, I have the best rides. Weird. I know. But his canter was the best canter we have ever done. He felt perfectly collected, coiled like a spring (probably due to the tension and anger) and we just bounced along. Gorgeous.

After 30 minutes of that, I let him walk out of the ring and partway down the trail for a few minutes. He seemed a little on edge - not spooky, just acutely aware of his surroundings - which I guess is fair since its his second trail ride ever and he was the sole horse. We didn't go far. I just wanted him to remember that he likes trails and that we don't necessarily need company.

We meandered back and then I gave him a full shampoo/conditioner/whitener bath. He smelled lovely.

6 comments:

  1. Hey if it takes a little fight to get a good ride, i'll take it!!

    oooo i love a clean horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. And I used whitener on his socks so he actually was clean all over for a change

      Delete
  2. I'm glad something good came out of your fight! Brave Walker for going down the trail alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravery is not his problem. Bull-headedness is his problem.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes a little fight isn't such a bad thing, but it is annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely annoying but so is laziness so I'll take it!

      Delete