Sunday 29 September 2013

Saddle Trial

So on Friday I finally got my hands on the used saddles I had shipped.  I got two: a Barnsby wide and a Collegiate with exchangeable gullet.  Luckily, the lady I spoke with was able to include the medium wide gullet for the Collegiate which was a good thing because it's exactly the size he needs.

Unfortunately, that meant that the Barnsby did not fit.  Too wide.  I am kicking myself for not shipping a third saddle to try.  

Anyway, that left me with the Collegiate.  I was on the fence about the whole exchangeable gullet thing, but I must say that this saddle fits Walker relatively well.  The only beef I have with the fit is that it requires a wedge to jack up the back to make it level.  I'm slightly iffy on buying a saddle that requires props, but Walker has no topline right now and always seems to have a "dippy" back anyway - if you know what I mean.  The Barnsby was going to require that too, so maybe he's just cursed with that.  Honestly, a $50 fix isn't that bad, I guess.

With regards to how it fits me, I'm on the fence.  It seems to fit seat-size-wise and is generally comfy except for one thing.  You know the buckles on the top of the stirrup that hide under the flap underneath your thigh?  I'm sure there is a name for that part on the saddle, but I've often noticed that some English saddles give me bruises from there - sometimes severe bruises.  Although I have no bruises from having ridden in it for two days straight, I get this sneaky feeling that it doesn't fit me correctly there.  But I mean, I played around with my leg and I can't understand how other riders wouldn't feel the same thing.  I don't know.  Maybe it's my stirrup leathers, which are cheap and probably need replacing anyway. Or maybe my thighs are just disproportionately huge.  Who knows.

All I know is that it's generally comfy and survived the Walker-buck-test where he had a mini meltdown and I didn't go flying off.  Or maybe you could say I survived the Walker-buck-test.  *Side note: it was one of Walker's best bucks in months.  Props to him for trying.

I have until Wednesday to decide, but I will probably only get to ride in it one more time.  On the one hand, I don't want to keep a saddle that isn't an "oh my god I have to have it" saddle, but on the other hand, it is a process to try and fit your saddle without access to a saddle fitter or someone who can at least give you lots of different saddles to try.  I'm essentially distance-fitting my horse, and I don't want to eat up all my saddle money with shipping fees.  I kind of feel like I should keep it or else risk going months without another one.

I was happy that I could fit my whole hand in here
Taking all my saddles out to the barn.
I caught some stranger staring in my back seat today
Generally good fit for me, right?  Right?

13 comments:

  1. If the saddle needs a wedge, it is probably too narrow. A wedge will just tip it forward and cause the points of the tree to press into his shoulder. I know it's a pain in the ass (believe me - I tried 16 saddles before I found my dressage saddle, then that didn't fit in a year so I tried another 10 before I found a good one) but taking the time to find one that fits him (and you) will be worth it. It is too bad that you have to do it long distance. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I don't know what you're looking at for saddles, but I have a wide tree Collegiate dressage that is the most comfortable thing in the world that you are welcome to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a problem of it being too narrow. It fits him nicely gullet-wise. It seems to be an issue with his lack of muscling and topline. But I will take another look

      Delete
  3. My sympathies; saddle-shopping is the worst.

    Agree with Katie and Beauty, though. I would not buy something that I had to pad up to make work. Better to keep looking for something fits properly from word one.

    Those pics are at a tough angle to judge fit and I am no kind of pro, but it does jump out at me that you're sitting well back of where you want to be sitting. Sit down into the deepest part of the saddle and do your figuring out from there. If you can't get down into the working center, well, that's your answer.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might simply be the angle of the photos because I felt centred and didn't feel "pushed back". I should see if I can get someone to take a better photo

      Delete
  4. Ditto the above. You are sitting too far back in the saddle - or it appears that way anyways. As for fit I can offer no guidance since I'm no pro... Hope you find something that you like.

    In terms of the discomfort. Some saddles have their stirrup bars placed differently and that can make other parts on the saddle a little uncomfortable. That or maybe your stirrups aren't sitting flat? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to get my leathers flat but they're also old and need replacing. Perhaps that will help

      Delete
  5. Definitely not an expert on saddle fit at all just wishing you luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. So as far at the stirrup bars and the leather buckles... try different leathers. The leathers that my saddle came with here HORRIBLE so I put on a different pair and bam so much better!

    I am no expert but if Walker isn't filled out/has good top line maybe finding the right fit right now isn't "possible"? It would seem to me that a pad for optimal fit while he is getting muscle and into fit shape (the pad is acting as what he would be like when he's filled out) isn't a bad thing, as long as the saddle still fits him well when he is filled out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of what I was thinking. No topline means it's never going to fit right. At least for now. I just need something temporary

      Delete
    2. A pad to simulate the muscle that he'll hopefully build isn't necessarily the worst idea in the world. But if the tree shape (like a flat tree on his dippy back, for example) and/or balance is wrong, it's just going to be wrong (and applying uneven pressure) on top of the pad. Does that make any sense?

      Delete
    3. I think I know what you're saying

      Delete