Saturday 21 September 2013

Off the Bit

As we speak, the saddle fairies are sending Walker two used dressage saddles to try out in a week or so, and last night, Walker made it extremely clear that he had no intention of being a dressage pony at all - not even a make-believe dressage pony.  Try as I might, I could not get that little [insert choice word here] to go on the bit.

Sweaty pony - ignore that non-sweaty spot
which proves that my saddle doesn't fit
I used to think that I was simply incompetent.  This is a legit belief.  After all, I read everything.  I have read Jane Savoie's Dressage 101 cover to cover.  I read every article I find online.  I watch people.  I talk to people.  I participate.  But in the year and a half that I've had Walker, I've rarely, if ever, had him on the bit.

Then I started taking lessons on other people's ponies, and lo and behold, I can round those little buggers up like a ball of elastics so that they're bouncing along happily on the bit.  I exaggerate obviously, but the point is that I can get a horse on the bit.  I am clearly not the imbecile I assumed I was.  I ain't no Dressage Queen, but I generally know where all my body parts should be while riding.

Then why can't I get my own horse on the bit?  Probably because I ruined him somewhere along the way.  Probably because he's so damn resistant.  Even when I'm wearing my "motivational speaking tools" (as my friend S calls spurs) and even when I'm sending him forward, I'm not capturing him in my hands, if you know what I'm sayin'.  He resists that portion of the connection.  Don't get me wrong.  He loves to go behind the bit.  And he loves to chomp on the bit like an angry child.  But if I get him on the bit, it lasts for 0.2 seconds and then he's back to doing whatever he was doing the other 99.9% of the ride.

Even his ears were sweating
I've done circles.  I've done rein backs.  I've done turns and lateral work and all that juicy good stuff.  I have no doubt that an extremely accomplished rider could get Walker on the bit.  In fact, I've seen it.  No problems.  But clearly they are channeling powers from the beyond that I'm obviously not tapped into.

Seriously, I hope my barn owner doesn't watch my ride on the cameras last night.  I probably looked like Cruella Deville at the end of 101 Dalmatians, all orange-eyed and hair like Medusa as I tried anything I could think of to force the reaction I wanted.  I got a few good seconds and have a few more tricks left to try, but seriously - Walker will be the death of me.  I swear.  Death by frustration.

1 comment: