Sunday 1 September 2013

Saturday Nights

Saturday night Walker was also pretty slow moving.  It was really muggy and I attribute some of his laziness to that, but I really hope that I can get him moving out again.  We didn't have an overly productive ride because both of us were sweating profusely.  I drug a few poles out and set one on each end of the arena - well, only three because they were the heavy solid wood ones and I was lazy.

Another book I got for my birthday.
Obviously we don't event, but hey, maybe some
day, right?
We did our usual transitions, trotted and cantered over the poles, and did some lateral movements over the poles as well. I would get him to have two feet on either end of the pole and then move along laterally both ways over the pole like they do in the trail classes.  It's funny because I always see people have such a hard time with this exercise but Walker's really good at it.  

I also worked a little bit more on my "no hands, no legs" exercises.  I often like to drop the reins completely or drape them over the horn (if I'm riding Western) and maneuver Walker completely with my legs.  We are pretty phenomenal at the walk (if I do say so myself - and I do!), but I often do it a little bit at the trot as well.  On Friday night, I decided we'd do it at the canter too.  On Saturday night, I dropped the reins and my stirrups.  I figured that it was the ultimate seat-building episode - you can't rely on your hands and you really need to use your legs and seat properly.  

Not long after that, another girl showed up at the barn and brought her horse into the arena to hand-walk.  I tried to keep working but then just succumbed to chitchat.  I decided that we probably got 90% done of what we were going to accomplish anyway, so I hosed the pony off and put him to bed.

Oh, and apparently there was some discussion at the barn about whether or not I was "taking" (read: stealing) extra hay.  I guess hay has been going missing and because I'm the newest border, some people thought that I was taking extra for Walker.  Luckily, some people stuck up for me.  I most certainly do not take things without asking!  I can understand why I would be the first one they suspected, but still!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah our BO is super paranoid abot hay and shavings being stolen that she locks it up, but still questions who is taking stuff.

    It's like lady we aren't houdini..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! The grain is locked up at my barn too, which will include things that I buy for Walker and ask the barn manager to give him - like my bute. So I can't get my own stuff sometimes! People be a little paranoid. Like what do they think I'm going to do - overfeed my horse so he can colic

      Delete