Saturday 21 September 2013

Windy

I went out to the barn yesterday only to discover that there was a clinic going on.  That meant no riding in the indoor arena.

So off I go to the outdoor arena, but it was extremely windy.  The wind has a tendency to blow straight through Walker's ears and wake the little demons that live in his head.  Needless to say my ride lasted approximately 5 minutes before I chose to bail off (not literally, but almost literally) and opt to lunge instead.  He was simply all over the place and threatening to rear/buck/bolt.  I figured that with an entire barn full of people, the last thing I wanted was someone to say, "Why is Natalie galloping towards the highway?"

The lunging confirmed much of this.  He pretty much cantered non-stop, showing off his flying lead changes for no apparent reason.  He was also impersonating a barrel horse and cantering at a 45 degree angle.  I'm glad that no one was watching that performance as well.

I had a few observations while lunging:
1) He really wasn't stepping up under himself and into his tracks at the trot, which makes me suspicious about the "great trotting" I've been getting out of him under saddle.  Perhaps it's not as effective as I thought.
2) He puts himself into a "behind the bit" position while cantering on the lunge line as well.
3) He also opens his mouth angrily when he's in that position the way he does when I'm riding.

The next time I ride, I think I'm going to try my Western bridle and old Western bit.  I don't want to bit up to get him to go on the bit, but I'm just going to see what kind of effect it has.  Maybe it's just a matter of getting him on the bit whichever way I can, building the muscles in his neck back up, and then slowly working back down to a gentler bit.  Who knows.  I'm nothing if not persistent.

1 comment: