Saturday 29 March 2014

Posture

I think a lot about my posture when I ride because I have horrible posture on the ground.  A while ago, this interesting graphic came across my feed on Facebook, and I've been staring at it a lot lately.


The accompanying write-up was explaining that the middle position (the tucked pelvis) is a necessary evil of sorts.  Although instructors will often tell their riders that it is incorrect because the legs aren't under them, their shoulders/hips/heels don't line up, etc., it is a necessary step to getting the last two positions while the body gets a chance to strengthen in all the right places.

I'm fascinated because I'd definitely say that I don't have those last two positions yet.  I struggle with my atrocious posture and bad back problems in all areas of my life, and it really wasn't until I started riding that I really wanted to make the changes - not just under saddle, but in my daily life too.

I'd say that these positions also correspond to bad posture on the ground as well. The forked seat is very similar to someone with a bad posture who has the rounded shoulders, etc.

My friend also just sent me this article about how our bodies affect our horse's bodies.  I'd be interested (and terrified) to see how my body has affected Walker.

1 comment: