Tuesday 29 July 2014

New Digs

Thanks everyone for your kind words about Walker.

Our big news is that we're moving, which probably doesn't come as much of a surprise to anyone really.

The vet suggested that Walker might benefit from a 7 day turnout on grass pastures with the chance to come in at night to rest.  She felt that the current 5 day turnout schedule he was on was bad for his feet, and the rock and sand pastures were not helping much either.

So I have found him the perfect place.  Like literally perfect.  It is a dream.

My new barn owner just bought this property like 2 weeks ago.  She currently has a 27 year old and a 30 year old horse, and she's looking for a third to keep them company because, as I'm sure we can all agree, three is simply the magic number.  She calls it the geriatric pony club, and that's just fine by me!

Here are the details:

She feeds whatever I want and will go get it for me.  She only works part time (at Greenhawk, no less!) so she's home most of the time to watch them.  They get fed three times a day.  She bought hay just for us, since the old boys are on hay cubes.  He gets a stall bigger than the one he has, and it has windows.

Feed buckets are for throwing across aisles
There are three grass pastures, each of which are bigger than the current big pasture he is sharing with up to eight horses.  They mow the pastures and keep them clean.  They rotate if need be so that the horses don't rip them up and cause dangerous holes.

She will put on blankets, fly masks, fly sheets, fly spray, whatever I want or need for no extra cost.

There is a trail system.  It has grass trails and is also mowed.  And it runs down to the waterfront, which she owns.

She said that if Walker gets to a point where I can ride him, I can work him in one of the pastures, but she's putting in a sand dressage ring this fall.  And she has donated one of her fields to the therapeutic riding school.  Get this.  By next fall, she is building a new six stall barn with an indoor arena.

And all for $150/month cheaper than what I currently have.

Caught in the act going for his halter to throw
So I pretty much get to move my horse to the perfect care situation, with the perfect pasture, and the chance that in the future there will be arenas and a perfect facility in case Walker gets better... or, you know, I buy a second horse...

So if nothing else has come out of this horrible lameness situation, Walker is moving to a pretty great new home which I have no doubt he will love.

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome, it does sound like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like heaven! He will love it there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds perfect for him!

    ReplyDelete