Thursday 3 July 2014

Putting vegetables to good use

I've been trying to eat healthy lately, and for anyone who knows my eating habits, this is a feat in and of itself.  Let's just say I do not have a loving relationship with vegetables unless they are potatoes and mashed, baked or deep fried.

But it seems that I have found a use for frozen vegetables:


By alternating them between my two bruised and swollen feet.

As it turns out, both Walker and I are severely lame this week.

Walker is lame for god knows why, but I was very upset to discover that he was turned out.  I mean, he has been turned out lame before, but those times were just minor lameness.  Given that he comes out of his stall stiff and sore consistently, the other times he was turned out, I could understand.  I mean, it was unacceptable, of course, but if you didn't know him well, then maybe you might fail to see it.  Or at least this is what I told myself.

This time, he was lame like a cripple.  When I clipped the lead line on him in the paddock, I knew something was wrong.  Homeboy refused to move, and when I finally forced him to walk forward by giving him a good old fashioned swat with the line, he almost fell over.  That's how lame he was.  

I almost cried as I just tried to get him back to his stall.  He was lurching forward with every step and almost falling over.  HOW IS THAT NOT NOTICEABLE?

There has been another lady doing chores this week, who also happens to be the same woman who has turned Walker out lame every other time and is not the normal barn manager.  I told the barn manager immediately, and she apologized.

I gave him bute and by pure chance, the vet arrived to look at another horse.  She came right over to see us since we were walking back to his stall at that time (and looked horrible, I imagine).  I made an appointment for her to come back, and we are going to do a full lameness exam and x-rays.  I had already been debating doing this before this episode, but now it has become imperative.  Which is kind of upsetting because I was hoping to do a lameness exam when he wasn't lame, if that makes any sense.  I wanted to be able to find the problems that make him lame so frequently, not just focus on his current lameness.  But oh well.

The reason I am lame, you ask?  Oh.  Well I got knocked clear off my feet by a spooking horse and stepped on.  He spun quickly, his hindquarters slammed into my chest, and I literally whipped through the air arse over kettles and then while still moving, he stepped on both my feet.

The poor girl who owns the horse was beside herself.  She has only had this horse for a week, so I tried to calm her down by telling her I was fine.  It was a complete fluke and is absolutely not her fault or the horse's.  Just bad luck.  But now I am a cripple who can't walk and have been rolling myself around the apartment in my pseudo-wheelchair.  Luckily for me, Walker can't be ridden anyway so there's not much that needs to be done.

My chariot


After careful consideration (and without actually seeing a medical professional, as I'm not much of a hospital-lover), I do not think either one of them are broken.  Maybe the vet will check me out too.  A two for one deal, perhaps?

2 comments:

  1. Bummer! Sounds like double bad luck :-(
    Hope you're back in the saddle soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double bad luck is the only kind of luck I seem to have these days! Haha

      Delete