Wednesday 9 July 2014

VCBH: Unpopular

This current blog hop of L's is a potentially dangerous one. I like it.


What is one unpopular horsey opinion you have?

I have to say that I was very excited to read the responses to this one.  I really thought this was going to go downhill fast when in fact, so far I have found most of the responses fairly level headed and sane.  Come on, people.  Be wild.

So what is my unpopular horsey opinion, you ask?  Here it is: 

I don't actually care if you wear a helmet.

I know that in this day and age of rider safety, it is all the rage to be pro-helmet.  I am not anti-helmet.  Far from it.  I'm pro-choice, you could say.

I think I get this perspective from my Western background which, needless to say, does not lend itself well to the helmet craze.  I personally wear a helmet every time I ride, but in my barn, for instance, I am one of only three adults who does.  And I've also not worn a helmet.  

And I will do it again.

If tomorrow I entered a Western pleasure competition on a horse I relatively trusted, I'm breaking out the cowboy hat.  No doubt in my mind.  

Yeah.  That's right.  That ain't no helmet.
Don't get me wrong.  I have my limits.  I think that children should wear helmets.  I think that green riders should wear helmets.  I think that good riders on unpredictable horses should wear helmets.  Heck, I would even wear a helmet riding Walker in a Western competition if he so much as looked at me with a hairy eyeball before the class.  In fact I did that in a show once - changed to a helmet at the last minute all because I felt so much as the wind change in an unfavourable direction.

I actually got into an argument with a friend about a month ago who barrel races.  She bought a new horse and was insulted - scratch that, she was livid - that I suggested to her that her "totally bombproof four year old" might not be so totally bombproof.

And as a Western rider, I feel the need to add the plug that there are many Western riders out there who wear helmets, just as there are also many English riders who do not.  

But at the end of the day, I'm not your mother.  Riding is a dangerous sport.  Riding vests can also be life-saving but we don't all wear them either.  I am not the helmet police.  And I'm also not a hypocrite.  I have no place scolding.

I agree wholeheartedly with this Mind Your Melon campaign.  If we can encourage more people to wear helmets, then this is a good thing.  Safety should not be unpopular. 

If you ask me if you should wear a helmet, I will probably say yes every time.  

But if you don't wear a helmet, I'm probably not going to shame you into it either unless I recognize an overtly dangerous situation.  What makes one ride more dangerous than another, you ask?  Well, that's what makes it an unpopular horsey opinion, doesn't it.

14 comments:

  1. Yes- I totally agree with this! It is none of my business whether you wear a helmet or not. I always do and if asked I will say "yes- wear a helmet." But I pass no judgement on those who choose not to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey found you through the blog hop :)
    I 100% agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad. I was worried I may have overstepped my bounds on this one. Haha

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this!!! I ride a broke as they come horse and ride western, I do not wear a helmet nor have I ever, but if I were to hop on a strange horse that seemed even a little bit dangerous, I'd strap one on in a second. But the thing that people have to realize is that being rude or pushy about helmets isn't going to help anything at all, in fact, it'll make it worse. :) Why don't we just all get along, and if you are asked about it, tell your opinion, but be nice! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Sometimes pushing people does more harm than good

      Delete
  4. I never wanted to wear a helmet but was forced to by my big-brotherly (non-helmet-wearing) instructor. Then a stallion bucked me off onto my noggin and it hurt enough that I was grateful I had a helmet to prevent it from hurting more. Now I wear it anytime I ride and most of the time when I lunge; it's really not that annoying.
    One opinion surrounding helmets that can be very dangerous is the "I'm wearing a helmet so I'm invincible" attitude. Helmet or no helmet, it's still very easy to snap your neck or get trodden on and push a rib through your lungs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find wearing a helmet annoying either but to each their own

      Delete
  5. I'm a helmet nerd but I respect other people doing whatever they want with their noggins. I never wear a seatbelt... so although I like my helmet I hate my seatbelt....so I make no sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wear a helmet when I ride. But if someone doesn't want to, that is their choice. I may say that it would be a good idea for some people on some horses, but if they don't want to and they are an adult, you can't make them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you from the blog hop too :) I will say that I think it is downright silly NOT to wear one. Maybe even dumb. Does it effect me in any way if you don't, well no, which is why I won't tell you to wear one. But my horse of 14 years that I trust with my life ran me straight through a tree and stepped on my back, kicked the back of my head as I went down. My helmet saved my life that day and I'm definitely not the only person with that kind of story. So to say that you're ok to ride a well known, quiet horse without a helmet just isn't something I agree with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is definitely fair. And like I say, I ride in my helmet almost every time I ride. I have only ever shown without a helmet, and even then, I won't so much as sit on my horse outside the ring while I wait. In fact, I even warmed up with a helmet. I completely agree with you that helmets are life saving. But unfortunately, people are still going to ride without them. Everyone needs their own reason.

      Delete