Monday 21 July 2014

Thrush attack

Walker has serious issues with thrush.  I mean, I pick that horse's feet every day.  His pasture is crazy dry, as in, there is no grass and it is all sand.  He goes out 5 days a week and spends the majority of the day out there.

Yet I am picking thrush out of his feet like it's going out of style.  The little microbes of death are claiming squatter rights in the depths of his frog and no matter how much thrush busting liquid I use, they will not vacate.  They are simply multiplying.

I left Walker for the weekend, he didn't get turned out, but I did ask someone to pick his feet for me at least once.  She did, and when I picked his feet today, it was gross in there.  So I doused his foot with that horrible blue stuff once more because when in doubt, continue to do the same things that aren't working.

Other than that, his toes are too long.  The farrier didn't come last week as I had hoped so I'm debating keeping him in.  Between the lameness and the thrush and the long toes, we're looking at a trifecta that just screams, "More vet bills, please!"

But the farrier will be out this week.  How do I know that?  Because I assume that he will get tired of my twice daily phone calls.


4 comments:

  1. I just started reading your blog, looking forward to catching up on your story! Have you tried cow mastitis cream (I prefer Tomorrow)? It's a bit more labor intensive but white lightening works great as well. I think sometimes the thrush buster just irritates the tissues so it never looks much better if you apply it frequently.

    Hope your boy gets his feet trimmed and thrush cleaned up shortly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! And I have never used that. I wonder if I can order some online. At this point, I'll try anything, regardless of how labour intensive!

      Delete
  2. Thrush is such a pain, my horses have all been a little bit thrushy this year. I spray with an apple cider vinegar solution whenever I pick out their hooves to help combat that. As a weird side note, horses that are insulin-resistant are prone to thrush so it's good to check in on diet etc too. (this is why Apollo gets thrush, he's borderline insulin-resistant, the babies just like standing around in the small muddy patches because they are weird)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was actually starting to wonder about his diet or even his weird feet situation. They may very well be contributing factors

      Delete