Tuesday 1 July 2014

VCBH: Interested Parties

L's new blog hop is all about what made us buy our horses to begin with.


What made you interested in your current horse that lead you to buying them in the first place?

When I bought Walker, it was kind of a different situation.

Walker was my first horse, I was just getting back into riding, and I relied 100% on my barn owner at the time, who is all but a horse trader herself.  The woman brings in about 3 horses every couple of months from the States and sells them to interested parties.

There were a lot of downsides to this and I wouldn't do it again.  To be honest, I didn't get a lot of say in the horse I wanted, and I definitely didn't get a chance to try him before.  She brings them in.  You try them out.  You have ample time to decide if you want him, but if you say no, you wait until her next batch.  I would not do it this way again, but it ended up working out for Walker and me.

But, one thing she did for me was get the seller to make a video.

What sold me on Walker, before he even came, was how freakin' calm he was.  In the video, they did everything with him.  The sellers are horse traders and they knew that I wanted to jump.  So they rode him Western.  They rode him English.  They jumped him.  They trail rode him.  They walked him onto the trailer.

And they rode him into a raging river.  No word of lie.

That really impressed me about him because it was really important to me that my first horse be a safe one.

When Walker arrived, his puppy dog personality probably motivated me to keep him.  He had already proved he was safe, and my barn owner and trainer loved the way he moved.  So I kept him.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like he is worth his weight in gold!! I love the horses with puppy dog personalities. :D

    ReplyDelete