Sunday 28 April 2013

Bored

Apparently I don`t do well with vacation.

I`ve only been off for a little while now, and already I`m bored.  So far in the last 24 hours, I have:

- oiled all my riding boots
- oiled my Western saddle
- mopped the floor
- organized my closet
- gave Walker his meds
- hung out at the barn
- watched a zillion hours of tv
- reorganized my riding equipment

...and the list goes on.

Today, I went out to the barn in the morning to give Walker his morning meds (he gets them twice a day), and my barn owner said that although she was waiting for the back field to dry up before she turned the horses out up there, I could turn Walker out up there by himself.  He was so excited!  He`s been cooped up on stall rest at the vet clinic for weeks, he`s been sick for two months, and he hasn`t been in the back field since last fall (approximately 6 months ago, if not longer).

I didn`t even wait until we were inside the paddock before I unclipped the lead line, and he shot off like a bullet.  He rolled in the dirt (yep, that`s right - for the first time in the whole year I`ve had him, I got to see him roll... and I missed getting a picture).  He played in the big puddle out there (water up to his knees for sure - he loves puddles), and he grazed, trying to eat as much of the stunted spring grass that he possibly could even though I brought him a big pile of hay to eat instead.

After that, I decided to wash him since a couple other girls were washing their horses.  I was proud because they couldn`t get their horses to stand still, and they were trying to get their fathers to hold them while they hosed them off (we don`t have any places outside where you can tie your horse up to wash them).  But good ol` Walker just stood there while I hosed him down.  I didn`t even have a lead line in my hand.  I shampooed him up, but I just did a quick wash to make him feel better.  I didn`t want to scrub and scrub, especially around his neck, where the infection and swelling are still going down.  I`ll give him a proper bath soon enough.

Other than that, my barn owner was kind enough to tell me that I could ride one of her horses while Walker was sick.  In fact, she said: ``If I own it, you can ride it``.  Which was pretty nice of her.  I might just take her up on that since I honestly have NOTHING to do.

You guys should also head over to Hilary`s blog and check out the contest she has going on for Rolex.  I`m extremely jealous that she got to see it in person!

4 comments:

  1. It's always good to keep yourself busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have been busy! Come organize my house next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really nice of your BO. I think a good roll in the field will make Walker feel a lot better :)

    ReplyDelete