Friday 5 April 2013

Quick Update

I don't have much to update other than that I got a call back from the vet who has ruled out tying up as one of the causes of Walker's muscle tremors.  He checked the enzyme levels, and he can tell from that whether or not it was the cause.

While he still hasn't completely ruled out a mild colic, he also told me that Walker's potassium levels were high.  High potassium can bring about episodes in a horse who is HYPP positive, so it's becoming more and more imperative that I get Walker checked out.  I just need to pull a few hairs from his mane and send the paperwork off.  I'm planning to do all that Monday when the clinic opens again.

Although I don't want him to have HYPP, it would explain pretty much everything in my books.  He got the cold.  This put his immune system down.  Which led to the anemia.  He needed meds for that.  But he wouldn't let people give them to him orally.  So I hid them in his alfafa.  Alfafa is high in potassium.  And I went from feeding him alfafa 2-3 times a week to everyday for two weeks.  High potassium leads to problems with horses with HYPP.  BAM! Muscle tremors...

So while I hope he isn't positive, it would definitely make sense.

On other news, when I was reading Gingham's blog post the other day, it reminded me that Holly is a terrible tail rubber.  As you can see from the picture below, she sits up against the bar of her straight stall and has pretty much rubbed it clean.


So I made a point of bringing it to the attention of my barn owner who put this lovely contraption on her.  It's actually pretty cool.  It goes all the way from the base of the tail to the bottom to keep the whole thing protected.  Hopefully she'll be able to mend herself now.

1 comment:

  1. I hope he doesn't have HYPP :( good for you for helping poor Holly's tail.

    ReplyDelete